Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 making an artificial scrape??? >

making an artificial scrape???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

making an artificial scrape???

Old 07-24-2003, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default making an artificial scrape???

hey has anyone ever made an artificial scrape... if so how' d u do it and did it work... and if it worked did the deer use it a lot... thanx

Old 07-24-2003, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: making an artificial scrape???

Pretty easy to do. Find a tree limb and get a stick. You must be religous about hiding your scent. Where rubber gloves, and rubber boots. Take a stick and start scraping up the ground. You can also use buck urine, and tarsul in it too. You can also do this with a scrape that is being frequented by a buck. Scrape it up more, and make it larger. Again....DO NOT LEAVE YOUR SCENT AROUND!!!!!! Use urine or tarsel as well. When you are done, take the stick with you. Get that stick as far away front the scrape as possible.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:24 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I tried it for the first time last year and the deer came to it, all at night though. I made one along a travel route and put tarsal gland on the scrape and on a low hanging branch above the srape then put doe in heat urine on the scrape. I made it about 2ftX2ft and the next day it was twice that size. The bucks hit it about every night but never saw one on it in the day time. A hunting buddy made one last year and buried a bottle of doe in heat scent in the middle of it with the lid off. Drove the deer nuts, the thing was about 10 ft around by the end of the rut. All night visits at his to though. Must have put them in the wrong place?
Old 07-24-2003, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

doe in heat scent huh... i' ve heard of ppl urinating on them... supposedly works... don' t know... i' ll have to put some doe in heat on the one i made today....before i posted this first one
Old 07-24-2003, 05:55 PM

I USE TWO OR THREE SCRAPE DRIPPERS WITH ACTIVE SCRAPE BY WILDLIFE RESEARCH. WORKS GREAT EVERY TIME. BE SURE TO USE THE RUBBER BOOTS AND GLOVES.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:43 PM

This year I plan on using Buck Fever synthetics in my mock scrapes. Everyone that I have heard talk about this stuff Loves it!! What you do is like others have said first conceal as much human odor as possible. Then find a good spot that deer frequent during the day, find an overhanging branch about 5ft off the ground. Underneath it scrape heavily with a stick, or better yet, a de-scented rake. After you do that, put BF-Forehead gland on the overhanging branch, then in any time other than the rut...put BF- Pre & Post rut formula all over the ground area. After making several of these, just go home. They say that you should freshen the scrape about once every two weeks if possible. Then during the rut just start putting the rut formula in the scrape every time you go out. This will be my first year trying this meathod...But you should check it out at:

http://www.hawgslimited.com/
Old 07-24-2003, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

outdoorsman--it' s too early for fake scrapes right now. Wait until the pre-rut is getting started and you see a real scrape--or know the deer are scraping. Doing so now would be very suspicious to the deer---or more likely unnoticed.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:49 AM
Dominant Buck

outdoorsman09 ,
I haven' t had much luck with them for taking deer , and some recent research by the University of Georgia confirms that they mostly visit at night . They can be useful however for estimating the realative number of deer in the area . A pawed up scrape also speaks volumes about who lives there and who' s just visiting . If you see the same large tracks at yours consistantly you' ll know who the owner is soon enough . Scrape drippers work well above freezing , and allow you to scout multiple areas efficiently for a reasonable cost . Fill them full and you' ll have a " cheap game cam" for at least a week . DaveH gave good advice on timing , follow it to avoid spooking that wall hanger later . Antlergetter made a good point about the licking branch above the scrape , and it should be a limb about 5' off the ground tretaed as described . A scrape with no licking branch would be suspicious to bucks . I view scrapes as more of a scouting tool than an attractant personally .
Old 07-25-2003, 05:28 PM

Dave, not true it isnt to early to start getting them intersted! this is a proven tactic to the called (programing the deer to your area!) by starting with a pre rut formula i use hawgs! it has been a real charm for me ! i started using it about month ago on my farms and they have kept the scrape open! and keep using it! remember scrapes like rubs are commuication points between deer ! it is never too early!
Old 07-26-2003, 01:08 AM

DEPUTY-------How many deer would you say are coming to your scrapes??? And would you say they were visiting during the daylight hours??? I am new to using the Hawgs system, and I am curious as to wether the formula is overrated. I will be getting mine out within the next few weeks, so that I can do my own field research. I have NEVER heard one bad word about these products!

And as Dave was saying.....I think the point was not to use a RUT SCENT when it is not the rut....The Hawgs system is very unique, since it has the pre-post rut formula, it has been proven by many hunters to be effective all year!!! But again, DO NOT use the rut formula until you begin to see rut activity!!

If you want to check it out, you can order the " Make Whitetails Hunt You" video on the link I posted above for about 10 or 15 dollars. Which is not bad investment.

Quick Reply: making an artificial scrape???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.