Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 season dates and warm weather >

season dates and warm weather

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

season dates and warm weather

Old 07-20-2003, 04:59 AM

Default season dates and warm weather

Every year i think to my self here in (ny) that other bowseasons start and think to my self i wish my season started today but here in ny we have one of the last' ist season that start in the nation...oct 15 in the southern zone . the weather is in the 40-50 and i like the cold were in other states it' s 70' s and thay start in july-aug-sept. to me thats to early and warm i like cold weather it' s not bowhunting to me were i grew up.i don' t mean snow but when it' s 80' s out side i do not feel like get eat buy bugs.. plus i love the fall when the leavs starts to fall and just something about the smell of the air ........ so warm weather trees full of leafs bugs and not haveing that deer to be able to hang for about 3 days is not my thing.......

thanks guys if u would like to hunt western ny in the sutherntear in the cold weather with no leafs and no bugs ... e-mail me take care guys and good luck because pratice is just beging for me.....

big al bowmansville ny wny
Old 07-20-2003, 05:56 AM

Default RE: season dates and warm weather

Ours starts in Wisconsin on Sept. 13. Can usually wear shorts and a tank top to your stand. It' s not the greatest weather but it sure beats sitting in the house or doing the honey do list. Usually hang a deer for a day and packed in ice. We even have a early goose season here that starts before then. The mosquitoes are crazy at this time too! I think that' s the worse part here.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:51 AM

PA' s is oct 4th so u get ur warm days but its fairly cool cant wait tho theres a handful of shooter bucks been lookin at
Old 07-20-2003, 07:42 PM

The bugs are the worse part. If it werent for that, I' d spend more time out there in Sept. Alot less people on the public ground and the deer dont seem to be as wary. Anytime that can be spent in the woods is better than being in the office or home doing chores. If I could be out there tomorrow, I would[:-]
Old 07-20-2003, 09:42 PM

sept 27 here in tennessee.hot hot hot hot hot hot hot weather i hate. but i love bow hunting so i go but i don' t care about the hot weTHER. i care about bowhunting.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Starts here on Sept. 15th. It' s hot then and the bugs are bad, but there' s usually some bucks still in velvet -- I' ve seen a number of them and killed one nice one. I put up with the weather and bugs though because if I didn' t, I wouldn' t be hunting!
Old 07-21-2003, 03:04 AM

if u would like to hunt western ny in the sutherntear in the cold weather with no leafs and no bugs .
I would love to hunt some of the more northern states.[8D]
Im right on the edge of two hunting season zones. The first one starts around Sept. 20th. Temp in the upper 80' s to low 90. Mosquitos by the millions.
The second zone isnt as bad and starts Oct. 15. Can still be a little warm but the mosquitos arnt as bad in the mornings.
I dont care for extreme cold but 40' s or 50' s is just right.[:-]
Old 07-21-2003, 07:22 AM

Here in MD bow starts Sept. 15th and the humidity is still HIGH. The bugs are horrible too, it' s hard to stay still when you' re swattin' at mosquitos but I' ve got to be out there. The worst is the trip to your stand, you have to walk very slowly so you don' t get too sweaty before you get there. Then climbing, I' m usually pretty sweaty by the time I' m ready to hunt. Oh well,
it sure beats sitting in the house or doing the honey do list
One other thing that is funny is that we have an early residential goose season here that starts Sept. 1st. I' m used to hunting waterfowl in the freezing rain when it' s absolutely miserable. Last year we were hunting in shorts and t-shirts and took a cooler to the blind with us in the afternoon, it was great.

Old 07-21-2003, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey NYBowhunter, you should try coming up for the Northern Tier archery season starting Sept. 27th if you still have last seasons tag. I start every yr then if can, and then down to my camp in Cortland on 10/15 for Southern Archery. I just love it. I think its awesome hunting the different weathers, and changes in deer patterns. Sure you may get a few warm days, but like any other foul bowhunting weather sometimes its just better off staying home. I don' t recall too many 80 degree days, but 70' s have occurred. I' m a member of NY Bowhunters, and have heard talk of pushing for a Sept. 1st Northern, and Oct. 1st Southern archery seasons in the future. Especially with the DEC considering moving the Southern regular shotgun season up to a Saturday opener. Nothings happening this upcoming season on those ideas, but sure it' ll be a Bill come next year. I love the idea, anytime I can get more woods time with a bow the better!!!!
Old 07-21-2003, 06:01 PM

Archery season ussually starts around oct. 11 here in West Virginia, but this year it won' t open till oct. 18. Some of the young bucks will already be starting some pre- rut behavior on the property that I hunt. I already have an awful case of buck fever, I dont know how I' ll get by till then!