Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who' s using the oldest equipment? >

Who' s using the oldest equipment?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who' s using the oldest equipment?

Old 07-14-2003, 11:44 AM

Default Who' s using the oldest equipment?

I' ve been reading all the posts about people getting new bows and getting jealous, when I thought I would ask who is using the oldest equipment, for whatever reason.

Last year I started back into bowhunting after nearly 12+ years off, and used the same bow I hung up those 12 years past. I' m shooting a 1990 Hoyt ProVantage with an overdraw, which I used to use in 3D and animal target shoots in and around Harrisburg PA. When I finally moved somewhere where I knew I would see alot of deer and have second, third and fourth chances, I decided to give bowhunting another chance. Last year I bagged a buck using a 12 year old bow (and arrows) and various other equipment that was older than that. I used a 14-15 year old Loggy Bayou climbing treestand that was the hot item in Harrisburg in the late 80' s. I remember doing demo' s of it in the rain going up a phone pole outside the arhery shop I worked at in Hummelstown, PA. Me and my co-worker had a contest for pizza going on who could sell the most of them in a month' s time. I won, but I was very wet and smelled like creosote.

I told my wife, who is very understanding of my woodworking hobby and tool buying, that I would continue to hunt with this bow until it broke beyond repair. Hopefully I' ll still be using it 10 or more years down the road.

Anyone else using old equipment and still bagging deer?

Old 07-14-2003, 12:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Who' s using the oldest equipment?

Well I bought a Fred Bear Black Bear over 20 years ago, hunted one unsuccessful season and hung it up. Two seasons ago I figured what the heck, I had just moved to an area with a lot of deer and now have tons of vacation, I picked up the 20+ year old Black Bear and practiced a lot and out I went, had one shot that season and one miss!!! Well last year with the same old bow I took one shot and got my first bow kill, I retired the bow and bought a new Browning bow, what a difference, I am really looking forward to this season.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on what you consider old. My bow is 8 or so years old and I' m thinking of getting a new one this year. I was going to wait til next year, but did the wrong thing of looking to see what' s out there, man have things changed! So we' ll see how it goes, still not sure yet.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-14-2003, 02:19 PM

I use a jennings carbon extreme about 10years or so old.
it' s heavier than some i have seen but shoots good.

Oh dang i am not supposed to be a " bowhunter" !
Old 07-14-2003, 02:23 PM

My dad would have to win this. He has a darton that he bought in 74 the same year I was born and used it for five years before he took a deer and then quit bowhunting a few years later. Last year I invited him bowhunting and checked the bow out and put on a new string. He shot and could still group about 3 inches at 20 yards. He took his second deer with a bow the first time he sat my stand. That bow is now 29 yaers old and he still wont buy a new one but only goes one or two days a year.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:08 PM

There is a difference between " old" and " early."

I use three primary " early" bows and keep them in superb condition.

Martin " Firecat" Pro-Series, circa 1990, approx. 220 fps, " Standard" wheel. Sweet to shoot/pull, quiet, enables superb accuracy, and still makes clean kills.

Martin " Bengal," circa 1992, approx 240 fps, " Ultra Sonic" cams, teardrop cable, smooth draw and let-off, quiet, enables superb accuracy.

Martin " Bengal" circa 1992, overdraw, " Ultra Sonic" cams, split harness, smooth draw and let-off, quiet, enables superb accuracy, and is a " whacker." Never have chronoed bow, but definately is fast, but stable.

Last season I briefly had the new bow wants. Tested several. Did not like the hard rollover most had, most did not pull smooth thru entire draw, and many had a let-off that would jerk you out of your stand. Most of all, the prices on most bows and accessories today is ridiculous and just did not justify my dumping my three friends that have never malfunctioned nor let me down.

Considering that hunting is a close contact sport, and most the power and speed of some of the newer bows is unnecessary and does not provide any outstanding (hunting) edge over my present gear, I chose to stay with my earlier Martins. For hunting purposes, I will put my bows up against any new bow. For 3D or Field shooting, I would step up to plate with the " Bengals," with full confidence.

Old 07-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

i saw one of them 4 wheel bear compounds in kmart clearance a while back. guess they found it stashed away in the back. i also break out my indian brand bow once in a while . the one without a string. its all cable and plastic wheels. killed my first deer with it back in 84. sweet memories!!!!!!!
Old 07-14-2003, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

Using an 11yr old Darton until my new BT Extreme VFT gets in aaaawwww I can' t wait!!!! Any day now
Old 07-14-2003, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve hunted with a 1968 Bear Super 48 Magnum recurve occassionally.Still have the bow but haven' t strung it up for awhile.

Quick Reply: Who' s using the oldest equipment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.