Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
why is bow hunting like a drug? >

why is bow hunting like a drug?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

why is bow hunting like a drug?

Old 11-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default why is bow hunting like a drug?

why is bow hunting so addicting? i literally have withdraws from not being able to bow hunt i have been asking everybody that i work with if anyone wants/need deer meat just so i can go out and hunt. why is waking up at 4 am going out when to sit in a tree in 10 degrees with a 10 mph north wind and everything frozen including you so fun? why do we get excited having a deer under your tree stand that has no idea that you are there so fun? my wife asks me this all the time and i dont know to say besides i love it and its a part of who i am. i use to love bird hunting more then anything and like today i was walking a field bumped a deer sat there watching it automatically looked over to the draw and said that would be a perfect tree for so and so wind. why do yall think bow hunting is so addicting?
Old 11-19-2010, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am just like you are. I really don't know the answer. I used to strictly gun hunt and it didn't bother me if I went or not. But, when I picked up the bow everything changed. As a matter of fact I don't even pick the gun up anymore. I am strictly a bowhunter now. It was like I became a whole different person. The one thing you said that sticks out that I say to my wife is it is who I am, it is part of me. I don't know if it's the challenge, or knowing everytime you go out there is that chance that big one you've been waiting for may walk past. I have a shirt that says, Bowhunting, The Drug There Is No Cure For! This is definitely a true statement when it comes to me.

Last edited by ManofTheFall; 11-19-2010 at 05:52 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Spike

Nothing like it to get the adrenaline going.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

i feel ya..rifle is open...and i gotta beat the guys to the land ...cause i jus wanna bow hunt before the circus shows up..(they dont really bow hunt)...i aint even takin a rifle...i'll get in some time before they get there, and then just wait til they get done and go sit in the woods and just listen to the birds i guess, waiting on drop time
Old 11-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ditto

Originally Posted by ManofTheFall
I am just like you are. I really don't know the answer. I used to strictly gun hunt and it didn't bother me if I went or not. But, when I picked up the bow everything changed. As a matter of fact I don't even pick the gun up anymore. I am strictly a bowhunter now. It was like I became a whole different person. The one thing you said that sticks out that I say to my wife is it is who I am, it is part of me. I don't know if it's the challenge, or knowing everytime you go out there is that chance that big one you've been waiting for may walk past. I have a shirt that says, Bowhunting, The Drug There Is No Cure For! This is definitely a true statement when it comes to me.
Couldn't have said it better myself. It's the challenge the adrenaline and the love of all the prep and gear that go into it...my rig, my arrows, climber, the early fall atmosphere and the fact that the men in orange aren't blasting away yet. And the best part...being tucked in the leaves 20ft. up and looking down on a nice buck that has no idea your there.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

like a drug, NO WORSE YES. Done my share, drink, smoked alittle pot, so on, and bow hunting or even hunting itself is worst. I now I am getting that need for a fix, when I go out in my undies to walk my dog and as I stand there eyes closed. smelling the crisp cold winter air listen for a deer IN THE MIDDLE OF TOWN with folks driving by wondering why I can stand the cold in my undies and then look at my cold dog knowing he wanted to go in 10 minutes ago, I realize it is hunting season. When I drive down the road with fog and clouds and think wow a good hunting day.

When I see the xmas candy come out and the old folks head south I know it is time

Addiction yes, a drug well it alters the state of my mind SO YEs, but well worth the money. The big thing we have over the addicts taking drugs and not hunting is hunting COST WAY MORE
Old 11-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

I know what you mean. Its rifle season here in Michigan and i'm waiting for it to end so I can get back to bowhunting.