Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
When To Be Patient and When to Be Impatient >

When To Be Patient and When to Be Impatient

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When To Be Patient and When to Be Impatient

Old 11-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default When To Be Patient and When to Be Impatient

Last Saturday I went out to the feed-lot to try my luck at an afternoon hunt. I immediately went to my stand at the south end of the field and sat for about an hour. After this point, I realize that, aside from the first day of the season, I have yet to see a deer at that particular stand while in October, about 100 yards east I had seen a nice 10 pointer near a duck pond. I decide to try my luck at a natural blind that overlooks the pond and an east-trail that goes from one side of the property to the other.

I wait about another hour and I get impatient again and move 400 yards north of the pond to another natural blind that sits next to 40 yard-wide funnel. This is an area that I have seen several bucks at, but only in the early season. I sit there again and wait about a half hour. By this time it is about 4:30 and I am, again, getting impatient. I decide to move through a 4 acre patch of woods (that I had yet to explore before the season started.

Immediately upon entering the woods I notice fresh tracks and scrapes and I head west through the woods. At the west end of the woods, I see a small pond with a 6 foot levee and when I reach the top of the levee, I notice two does feeding just outside of the woods (about 60 yards out). I immediately squat down behind the levee and try to call them in with a fawn bleat but they didn't seem to notice that I was there. I wait for a half hour before I decide that daylight is running out and I need to get closer. I begin to climb over the levee again but as soon as I am down to the bottom, a coyote howls and all of a sudden no fewer than 10 does bum-rush into the woods right in front of me. I couldn't move. One of the does I had been watching was now staring right at me and the others still seemed a bit shook up from the coyote. I tried not to make a move but after 45 seconds my boot slipped a bit in the mud and the deer started stampeding out of the woods before I could draw back, let alone aim and shoot.

This is my first year bowhunting, so I am still learning. So what did I learn? First, because I didn't see any bucks in that group of does, it doesn't look look like the rut is in full swing, so it's possible--if I haven't scared those does away permanently--that I could see a big buck on the property next week. Second, I think that if I'm not seeing any animals it's okay to move, but once I have an animal in sight it may be best to let them make the first move. Third, I think I have really underestimated the importance of scouting. Had I known that pond was there, tucked back in the forest, I would have had a stand there much earlier in the season and I would have been waiting for them, being immobile I would probably have been much less likely to make a dumb move like that one. Anyone else have any suggestions?

~~Brasky
Old 11-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

an hour aint nuthing.
ya need ta finish out, cause ya know right after ya left each stand, that 12 pointer was walking by.
stay at it, its a learning process
Old 11-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

You ended up doing some mid-season scouting- not the worst thing in the world (not the best tho). I think people too often think that they've "scared the deer off permanently." In my experience (not the most on the board, but I have 10 years under my belt) it takes a more frequent encounter than 1 time to scare deer off a spot. They are routine-loving animals- hence the trails and scrapes, etc. They'll be back.

Not that I disagree completely with moving from one stand to another but I would say that you might want to be a little more patient in the spots that you choose. Know where you're at in relation beds and feeding locations. If you were on a food plot, they'll hit there at the end of the day (generally speaking). If the food plot it is a good distance from their beds then it may take them a while to get there in the afternoons. Anyway- that's what stood out to me in your story- sure moved around a lot Of course, sometimes it's merited.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

In terms of moving around a.k.a. still hunting, or 'stalking'....conditions really have to be just right: wind, ground (being wet makes it quieter) etc. Reason I mention this is, the more you move the higher the chance that your pushing deer around/out of the area. More often then not they know somethings coming, especially the older and more mature deer. I have really become more of a tree-stand devoted hunter. Set up in a spot you are confident in (like around that pond. water is always a good bet) and stick with it..see what happens