Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Is my stand set done for???? >

Is my stand set done for????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is my stand set done for????

Old 10-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Is my stand set done for????

Gotta a set hung on a downhill ridge headed to a funnel that deer travel religiously. Doe harvested, quite a few deer seen there, couple of good rubs and now gotta a good scrape line going. Been hunting this set for almost 3 weeks now (approx 4 sits a weekend 2 morn 2 evening). Here's my question...had a nice 130" 8/9 point come in this morning on a string to my primos can call (nose to the ground). While paying total attention to him (bow in one hand can in the other) I had no clue there was a doe and 2 yearlings not 15 yds to my right (blind side). Well needless to say the doe spoiled everything for me and went bounding off with her yearlings right behind her (she never blew however). As soon as the buck saw them taking off, he then bounded off as well. Frustrated, I sat it out in pure silence for another 2 hours hoping to give him or her a chance to come on back thru. This set is loaded with white oaks and have seen deer feeding there. Is my stand pegged now and do you think I will see that buck again? Like I said frustrated......
Old 10-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Fork Horn

I think he will likely show up again at some point. From what u wrote he didn't bust u and when the other deer ran off he just followed them. But I doubt that one little incident will keep them from coming back. Deer run away from various things/animals all the time but they will come back to that same area. If they didn't you would probably never see the same deer twice cause they would always be on the move to somewhere else. Sounds like u got a nice buck your dealing with so i say keep hunting him!!! Goodluck man!!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Spike

I wouldn't worry to much on 2 seperate days this week 2 of my teammates were busted by the same doe. She blew at them, took off and took every deer around her with her. But trailcams and logging the hours in the stands have proven they always come back. Keep with it and the rewards will come
Old 10-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah I'm giving it a day off anyways.....Hope to get a crack at him again.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

That doe Will remeber where she saw you. therwise if there are a ton more than just those 5 ye your done, otherwise you should be fine if it continues to happen I would deffiantly move my stand to a tree wiht better cover and you dont have to be 20-30 ft either I have stands as low as 6 ft becasue there is a perfect group of pines pr hemolocks that wont cover me past that hight and see deer. or try a ground blind,
I have had a ton of deer stand 10-15 ft away and Not have a care in the world with out any extra structure other than next to a dead fall or under a hemlock I have even just set it up on a ridge and had them look right at me and keep eating. The one thing I did Notice was that after they eat an acorn they'd look up at every tree !!!!! I personally see more in a blind un less I find a good tree with hemlocks or pines covering it.
Good Luck and let me know how you make out
Old 10-31-2010, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

That buck knows that something scared off a doe, could be a coyote, bad smell, loud mouse, etc. So my guess would be he will be back. The doe, however, will be looking for you in that tree. To move or not to move? What are the odds that the next time you see a buck come through the same doe will be there...I think that is what it will come down to...
Old 11-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't worry about it. This past Fri. eve, I shot a young doe and just as I got ready to shoot it, I noticed an older doe coming to the same area as the younger one had. I decided to take the younger one for I was afraid the old one may pick up my scent the young over looked. I shot the young one and the old one saw me in the tree after I shot. 10 minutes later the same old one came right into the same spot she was at earlier and I blasted her as she was looking at where the young one was only to see the Lumanock coming at her!!!!!