Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Well... I was really disappointed. >

Well... I was really disappointed.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Well... I was really disappointed.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ranger77

my point is ........ forget about speed. the author of this thread really wants to go drop $500 on a new bow becuase he's 30 fps slower than he wants to be?

No, I don't want to go out and drop $XXX on a new bow because I'm 30fps slower than what I "want to be", I was just hoping to possibly be able to try out mechanical broad heads. Don't get me wrong I'd love to be shooting 260+fps but I killed my buck last year shooting the same bow that I have now, and it did the job (granted he was only about 15ft away).

I have also been looking at new bows since the beginning of the season and at the father in laws since last year.

That one is currently set up shooting the max that it can, at 82# with 80% let off, the only thing that's keeping me from buying his is that the price tag is a little steep.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Yes I still say it is not apples to oranges because a bows only job is to deliver an arrow to the intended target. Yes a compound bow is more efficient in doing that than a trad bow but the result is the same. And 1 pin to 30 yards you are still either holding low or high depending on the target distance. UNLESS your bow is capable of vefying the laws of gravity.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rogue
And 1 pin to 30 yards you are still either holding low or high depending on the target distance. UNLESS your bow is capable of vefying the laws of gravity.
Agreed! A 525 grain arrow at 250 fps has a 5" drop from 20 yds to 30 yds.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Rogue
Yes I still say it is not apples to oranges because a bows only job is to deliver an arrow to the intended target. Yes a compound bow is more efficient in doing that than a trad bow but the result is the same. And 1 pin to 30 yards you are still either holding low or high depending on the target distance. UNLESS your bow is capable of vefying the laws of gravity.
I was never arguing the traditional vs compound point, and in all honesty that point is fairly moot doesn't really have anything to do with what I was saying...

Guess this thread got kind of hijacked lol.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry wasnt trying to hijack the thread the only reason I brought up the trad bow was to point out that a compound is more efficient. If you are comfortable with the bow your shooting, then don't feel like you have to buy the latest and greatest to get a few more fps.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before you buy a new bow it is a good idea to shoot the arrows you will be using, the draw length you will be using and the draw weight you will be using. If the bow fits you and you like how it feels then shoot it through a chronograph to verify the speed so you know what you are paying for. This is all done before buying the bow in the off season so you have plenty of time to tune and tinker with it. When you attach a string loop and a peep you will loose a few more feet per second.

At 217 fps you must be shooting a pretty heavy arrow, what does you arrow weigh?
Old 10-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

They're Beman Hunter ICS 340, and are 9.3g/inch. 30" DL... so... 279 w/o broadhead 379 with.