Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Looking to get out of the swamp! >

Looking to get out of the swamp!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Looking to get out of the swamp!

Old 10-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Spike

Default Looking to get out of the swamp!

I'm looking for a little advice from you guys. A couple of buddies and myself are getting tired of busting out butts hunting the swamps in LA and looking to experience something new. None of us have hunted outside of LA, except for east TX and west MS. If you guys had to pick just one spot to bow hunt on public land where would it be? Oklahoma, Missouri, Kentucky or Arkansas? Those are the states we're considering, we're not expecting to kill monster deer but it sure would be nice to hunt a place where you see more than 1 deer out of 10 hunts. And when you finally do kill a deer a 3 year old doe will weigh in around 85#-100#.

Any suggestions on which state, region of the state or even specific public grounds to look into would be very much appreciated.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Fork Horn

Look more towareds the midwest. Larger deer and more of em. Iowa, kansas, ohio, kentucky. If you have huntedin texas they have some big deer down there.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:50 AM
Spike

I live in SW Ohio and hunt in Ohio and Northern- middle KY, there is 3 pieces of public land that has some pretty big bucks and I have seen more than a few does that would weigh in at or a lil over 175!! All 3 are Archery only... I can also tell you that to hunt in Ky out of state License and your first 2 tags will cost you $190.. and when you fill them bonus antlerless are $15 for 2... PM me if you would like anymore info..
Old 10-22-2010, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

well id rule out missouri and arkansas. they have decent populations but no monsters. if it was me id look more into oklahoma out of the places you mentioned
Old 10-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ksharvester
well id rule out missouri and arkansas. they have decent populations but no monsters. if it was me id look more into oklahoma out of the places you mentioned
This cat is saying there are no monster deer in Missouri.. bwahahaha
Old 10-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Cannonw24
This cat is saying there are no monster deer in Missouri.. bwahahaha
To an extent he's telling the truth, as far as my internet researching goes anyway. From what I can tell you'd have to hit Northern MO for monsters. I'm not so much looking for monster bucks but I'd sure welcome them. I'm mainly interested in hunting new places and seeing more deer. I think on LA public land the good ones (good being a relative term) average about 1 deer per 20 hunter tries, and in LA most people will shoot the first deer they see.

There's a couple of good WMA's in OK I'm trying to get more info on (I have a friend who used to live there) and a a couple in Kentucky as well but I'm still really undecided at this point.

Thanks for the info guys. woodyw333 PM on the way.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Man, Im from south Mississippi. I used to duckhunt red river wma(La.) across the river from natchez and we saw some monster deer riding in in the mornings. compared to Miss and La. unless in the delta, Missouri has plenty of big bucks. I know several that hunt the wma's in south missouri and take nice bucks and population of does is plentiful.