Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Rattling and Grunting >

Rattling and Grunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rattling and Grunting

Old 10-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rattling and Grunting

When do you start to rattle and grunt while sitting in stand. I have heard that you can grunt all year just using a contact grunt but when do you start to get aggresive with it. Do you start when the deer are breaking out of their bachelor groups since they are starting to establish a pecking order or do you wait until the rut actually starts. With rattling is it better to wait until the rut kicks off or will it work during the pre rut also. Any advice tips or suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated
Old 10-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry my grunt call with me at all times. Early season, rut, late season. When rattling, I usually wait until like right now and will rattle through the end of November. I think the best time to rattle is now until about the middle of November.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:04 AM
Spike

I have been rattling for a little over a week now and have brought in a number of bucks and does alike.. problem is i am taged out for my buck as i finally got my velvet opening week of Ky archery. All i have been doing is light "sparring" rattles nothin really fierce yet.. Good Luck
Old 10-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now is a good time to start rattling. I started carrying my rattle bag yesterday. No dice with it yesterday, but had a whopper of a spike come in today wanting to get destroyed by whoever he thought was nearby. Gotta love those adolescent spikes...taking on the world!
Old 10-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks everyone I appreciate it definetly looks like my rattle bag will definetly be in my bag of tricks for the rest of the season.