Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

muscle hit?

Old 10-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wis_bow_huntr
Im going to say that deer was wounded too high in back and may recover just fine. If you have any water sources near by check them. A wounded deer will generally head for a water source. Get back out there with 4 or 5 people and do a comb of the area, He could have layed down and gotten sick. You wont get a lot of blood on a high shot because the blood is filling the cavity and not draining out. Muscle blood is usually dark, lungs are bright red or pink and heart is red. If you have bright red blood you may have gotten one lung. But you wont know until you find him if you find him. Was he broadside, quartering to you or away, straight down??? tell us more about the shot
he was sligthly quarting away. 10 yards from a 12ft stand....bascially a slam dunk that i rushed the shot on.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

Im going to say if you have blood on all 3 fetching the deer is dead.
I know if I had blood on all 3 I would have the deer in my freezer come hell or high water,you say the deer was at 10 yards you most likely couldn't of been to far off on the shot.

Last edited by blackhawk_archery; 10-22-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Typical Buck

Your description is consistent with a that of a high (loin) hit - of course there are other possibilities. Last week, my tracking dog and I ran a suspected loin hit out 700+yds and did not recover the deer. (I've done volunteer tracking for 21 yrs on a local military base and just started using the dog).

Deer should typically survive an above-the-spine hit. I have a few old trail cam photos of a doe in the weeks after a friend shot her high, and she healed up fine.

-fsh
Old 10-23-2010, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fshafly2
Your description is consistent with a that of a high (loin) hit - of course there are other possibilities. Last week, my tracking dog and I ran a suspected loin hit out 700+yds and did not recover the deer. (I've done volunteer tracking for 21 yrs on a local military base and just started using the dog).

Deer should typically survive an above-the-spine hit. I have a few old trail cam photos of a doe in the weeks after a friend shot her high, and she healed up fine.

-fsh
the shot was below the spine