Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Moutrie Game Cam II >

Moutrie Game Cam II

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Moutrie Game Cam II

Old 07-13-2003, 09:23 PM

Default Moutrie Game Cam II

I was wondering if anyone has used the Moultrie Game Cam II, and whether or not you like it. Priced at only 129.00 it is much more reasonably priced than some other units on the market. I realize perhaps you get what you may for, but if it does atleast a decent job then I think I may give it a try. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:37 PM

Default RE: Moutrie Game Cam II

I feel they are very vunerable to water damage. I' ve used mine for two years, and have never goten a full roll of pics with deer in them. First, last summer I put it out for the first time on " high power" mode, and put it too low on the tree, which was about 3ft off the ground, but the under growth was too thick, and every thing set it off....I had two pictures with does and the others were all just weeds. So I called that one a user error, and put it back out, this time completely clear of debris. Again, full roll of weed pics and i noticed that inside the casing was wet, so i had to completely dry it out. I went back yet again(in the rain), and moved to a diff. location, and this time I sat about 30ft behind the camera for an hour or so, with the cam. set on 6min intervals. No joke this thing sat there for about ten min or so and then started snapping pics about every 2min or so...again the inside had gotten wet. To make a long storie short, this year i put the camera out...and it went a day or two without getting a pic (going by date on pic), then i got a few deerpics. but then as soon as that area got a major rain storm, it spent the remainder of the roll.

I thought I had a defective camera, but I have heard other people on this forum say they had the same problem. I did hear one guy say(i forget who) that he cut a rubber glove into small strips and put it all the way around the opening. Altho I' ve yet to try that it sound like a good idea.

Honestly, if I had the extra money, I would prob. invest in one with better reviews, but if not just try the rubber glove before you even put the thing out. That may save some time and money in the long run.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:06 PM

I have had simular troubles with mine and I would not recomend it. I have a photo hunter and it is extremely good camera.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:32 PM

Yep, problems must have been an extra with mine also

It took AMAZING quality pictures, probablly more due to the film I was using (Kodak Max Gold 800 speed). Well, it would take a few pics in the beginning of nothing, but, it also seemed to " stick" as I had it set on high power and it wouldn' t take any pictures for a few days (I knew that deer moved on the trail I had it set on every day). Well, it went downhill from there fast. I started having problems where sometimes, once something set it off, it would stick and continously set pictures off. It didn' t have to be the first animal past it. I had a roll of film where I had caught a few deer on it and then, one doe came by and it just kept taking pictures, even after that deer was gone.

The problems really got bad when it got to the point of over sensativity. I set it up after dark one evening and went back the next day cause I figured something was wrong. Well, as soon as daylight came in the morning, it took a picture and kept sticking and snapping picture after picture.

I finally took it back and I am planning on getting a DeerCam Non-Typical DC-100. From my reasearch it had the most features I liked and it wasn' t the most expensive camera.

Just my thoughts.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Junk, best thing that happened was it was stolen.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

Poor picture quality and poor overall construction. Moultrie really blew it with this one. In an effort to deliver a low cost alternative, they put a product on the market that is a poor performer. Internal housing gets soaked, bugs nest inside, camera feels like trash and the picture quality is unacceptable. I was running the Moultrie and my DC 100 side by side and the difference was tremendous. The DC is not inexpensive but it is worth the extra money. Admittedly, I have had two camera failures with the DC but they immediately shipped a replacement, no questions asked. No complaints from me.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

had one. returned it as you get what you pay for in these devices. I have a photo scout and love it. I have never had a false picture. comes with great warranty although i have had mine 2 years without any trouble. did send it back to the company to get a new chip b/c one came in it only had a 1 and 5 minute picture delay. they put in a 20 min and 1 hour chip for free, sent me both the original and the new one for n/c. you can call them up and they can program a chip for whatever delays you want. i put mine mainly on my feeders and therefore needed a little longer delay b/c it would shoot a whole roll of film on a couple of deer in one night. my next camera will be there digital. number one reason is that i can view the picts on my computer and avoid the expensive photo prints as wally world.

one note, moultrie gave me a lot of false triggers. in the heat of the summer, i had deer feeding under feeders but no picts were taken. heres why, the ambient air is the same or hotter than a deers body heat. most cameras are heat and motion activated. so when the air temp is higher than the deer, no picts are taken when using cheap camera outfits.

my photo scout will operate about 2 months in the dead of cold winter. i use a 36 roll of film. the camera requires 2 AA' s and the unit requires 4 AA' s.

hope this helps. i tried 3 before i settle one the photo scout.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, I must be the exception here. I bought mine this spring, and so far its taken nothing but good quality pics. I' ve gotten some nice shots with mine. I' ve had no troubles with it at all so far. I change the battery every 20-30days in it. My only complaint is I have a tendency of closing it back up to fast, and snapping a picture or two in the process. The camera cord gets out of place, and the camera sits offset when trying to snap it shut. So you have to make sure the cord is in place while closing. I haven' t had any rain problems with it. But I' ve got it facing away from the normal approaching weather also on the tree. So sure that helps.
I also recently purchased the new Stealth MC2-G camera. Its only $79, and seems to be alot better quality. I wish it came out before I bought the Moultrie. But it takes 8 aa batteries over 1-6 volt like the Moultrie. I just sent in my first roll of film taken with the Steatlh, so I haven' t seen its results yet. The stealth MC2 also has no way of truly securing the camera to the tree from theft. So I simply cut out a piece of 1" wide metal angle iron. Slide it in through the belt loop like slots on the back, and secured a chain & lock around it using the metal piece. I also drill 2 screws through the plastic back piece, through the metal piece into the tree. I did the same with the Moultrie also.