Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Tree Rats .....do you shoot them ? >

Tree Rats .....do you shoot them ?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree Rats .....do you shoot them ?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I'm deer hunting, I'm deer hunting. If they bother you that much bring a couple rocks or sticks with you in the tree to chase off those ones that chatter at you. I enjoy watching them. Helps pass the time when your waiting for deer... Now on the other had squirrel hunting with the bow is a blast. Get yourself some flu-flu arrows and some small game tips. Picking them out of a tree and getting in there for some bow shots is a blast. Plus shooting up into a tree is something most people don't get to experience. Lots of fun. Give it a try.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

They taught the Vet's when they dropped them off in the Jungle not to move for 24 hours because the Monkeys would become used to them in that time frame. Same rule applies to tree rats. Give them time and they will shut up. I will say red tree rats are the worst.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before arrows and broadheads got so expensive I did but now I just let them go about thier business. I've even had a few alert me of deer coming that I hadn't heard or seen yet.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Good target practice
Old 09-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

friend of mine talked me into a 14" blow gun with 50 darts for like $12

Serious fun amazingly accurate.

Kills them stone dead, no problem.

The 24" one is a lot better and easier to use.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

I too try to resist the squirles but sometimes i cant but then i try to remined myself that im ther to hunt deer not squirls because about the time i would shoot a squirle a deer would here it or see the movement .
Old 09-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Never wanted to use an arrow for that, but another option for you is to bring a slingshot and a handfull of something to shoot out of it. Also works good for getting cattle out of your hunting spot when they wander in too close
Old 09-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like listening to them sound off when it isn't me they're yelling at. I figure something's there making that tree rat yell, maybe its an approaching deer...
Old 09-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RIStrutStopper
I like listening to them sound off when it isn't me they're yelling at. I figure something's there making that tree rat yell, maybe its an approaching deer...
EXACTLY....