Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Ground blind hunters, comments wanted! >

Ground blind hunters, comments wanted!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground blind hunters, comments wanted!

Old 09-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ground blind hunters, comments wanted!

I've never hunted from one of these new fangled ground blinds.

I realize it is much better to have it set up for a couple weeks so deer can get use to it.

Have any of you guys had success with hunting from the blind the same day you set it up?

How do deer react to seeing the new blind, that suddenly just appears in their living room?

I recently bought a blind and have had it set up for a couple weeks now.

I was just wondering if I should buy another to have to set up in a spur of the moment type deal.

I'm interested to know of you experiences on same day setup and hunt.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

I have 3 blinds 2 I set up sept.1st and leave them in my hunting spots all season,the 3rd blind I keep at home for when I want to hunt public ground up the river.I have killed 3 deer out of this blind and all 3 times the deer was within 10 yards of the blind they looked at the blind but cant see me because all my blinds have the mesh windows,so in my opinion they notice them but it doesnt scare them unless they wind you.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you take any of those deer within a day or two of setting up the blind?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

I have had deer come in, even good bucks the same day I set up a ground blind. One of the best ground blind advice that was given to me is this (and I have experimented with it) -- put up the blind out in the open and don't try to hide it. I know that sounds strange, but think of it like this. If a deer sees it from way off and has a chance to "size it up" as it works its way in, by the time it gets to you, it has already determined that it is not a threat. I have hidden them and used all kinds of foilage and everything you can think of and had deer come in on a trail, turn the corner, see the blind and bolt. Maybe if it is there long enough, they will get used to it, but if you catch them by surprise, you will not get your shot.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

ive always set mine up atleast a couple days in advance just to be safe. this year we put both out in july but ussually not until about a week before the season
Old 09-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jklink
I have had deer come in, even good bucks the same day I set up a ground blind. One of the best ground blind advice that was given to me is this (and I have experimented with it) -- put up the blind out in the open and don't try to hide it. I know that sounds strange, but think of it like this. If a deer sees it from way off and has a chance to "size it up" as it works its way in, by the time it gets to you, it has already determined that it is not a threat. I have hidden them and used all kinds of foilage and everything you can think of and had deer come in on a trail, turn the corner, see the blind and bolt. Maybe if it is there long enough, they will get used to it, but if you catch them by surprise, you will not get your shot.

Sounds like good advice. I'm sure I'll be trying that.

I have a few brushy ares with no trees large enough for a stand.

I also have a couple fields that I've seen some bucks in last year but couldn't figure out a way to set up close enough. Tried hunting behind round bales and at the edge of the field. I even tried from a treestand on trails leading to the field. (they always picked a different trail than the one I was on) Nothing worked.

I was just wondering how a blind would work in this situation. I guess I will find out this year.

Hunted from treestands for 30 years just never hunted from a ground blind.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

last year i went to arkansas to for rifle season and set up a ground blind for the 4 days i was there and i had deer coming in on me the whole time i didnt try to hide it i just put in about 10 feet from a tree. the deer did notcie it but not enough to spook them.