Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Girlfriends/Wives annoyed with your hunting >

Girlfriends/Wives annoyed with your hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Girlfriends/Wives annoyed with your hunting

Old 09-08-2010, 03:57 AM
Fork Horn

Yea, within the first two dates I told my girl/now my wife of 4 years that there were two things that I likes to do, Hunting and go to Talladega. I didn't studder and all is good. Don't Ask Dr. Phil either!
Old 09-08-2010, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nomorewolves
For me she tried the same thing......so I said OK I will stay home, but it will be sex 24-7. After one weekend of that she said next time, go hunting.....I can go now anytime I want and she has No complaints.
its easy when you aint any good at it, she would definitely keep me home if i gave her that ultimatum
Old 09-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the tips guys. I think we can work it out. She is getting started with some adult rec volleyball leagues which will give her time to do things she likes and that will allow me to do the thing I like-Hunt!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Spike

My wife is on board but I can tell she would like me home more often. I think it is because she gets stuck with doing stuff around the house. So I bust my tail after work and after hunting to get work done around the house and she is usually happy. There was a time when I didnt go as much but it was my choice because it was the birth of my wonderful daughter.

Also maybe skip a day or two of hunting during the season and spend an entire day romancing her and make it all about her. That usually works for me.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sunjbr
My wife is on board but I can tell she would like me home more often. I think it is because she gets stuck with doing stuff around the house. So I bust my tail after work and after hunting to get work done around the house and she is usually happy. There was a time when I didnt go as much but it was my choice because it was the birth of my wonderful daughter.

Also maybe skip a day or two of hunting during the season and spend an entire day romancing her and make it all about her. That usually works for me.
Yeah, I think you hit it on the head there. As much as many of the guys here are loathe to admit, it's all about compromise. She needs to recognize that you're not going to quit hunting, but you also need to realize that you can't just hunt every day of the week if you're going to contribute to a household, raise kids, etc. I'll readily admit that I'd love to hunt every day during season, but face it...that's asking a lot of a wife and small children. I've found that a happy medium can be reached if you work for it.

A marriage can't survive if it's 100% of the way for one person (whether it be her way or yours). Nobody wants to hear that, it seems, but it's the truth. To those guys that think they can realistically expect it all their way...if you don't like it, don't get married. I've been lucky enough to work out a compromise, so I'm still married. I still get to hunt several times a week (and spend a week at camp during peak season), and she's still happy about it.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Hunting is a huge stress relief for me and I won't give it up. If your girlfriend doesn't understand this and you have taken time to explain how important it is to you, and she still doesn't allow you that time....whatever you do, don't marry her. People who can't set aside their wants for their partners wants, are not good partner material, that's the work side of a relationship and it's hard and it really sucks some times, but without it, there is no relationship.

My wife doesn't object to me hunting, and I hunt like *ell come bow season (sun up to sun down some weekdays and every weekend during the rut). I know she doesn't like how much I go, but she understands how important it is to me and since it comes around once a year, she gives me that time. Just as I give her the time she needs with her girlfriends and shopping and I will do special things for her during the season as a way to say thank you for allowing me my time. One thing she really likes is when I stop by Dunkin Donuts on the way home with her favorite coffee, doesn't cost much, it just shows that I was thinking about her.

It's all about giving and taking to make it work.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 09-08-2010 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

I know I'm going to catch hell for saying this, but to all the guys that say hunt no matter what...it's one thing to get an adult woman to understand you being gone a lot, but how do you rationalize that to a 3-year old that wants to spend some time with Dad? I'm not saying you should give in and totally quit hunting, but you can't completely disown your family for 2 months either. Just saying you have to be reasonable in what you're asking of your family. Most guys know that balance, but I know a few that are, well, basically selfish asses about spending all of the season hunting.

Especially when it comes to your kids. Kids are only little for so long...once that time is gone, it's gone. At least when they're a little older you can spend a lot more quality time hunting with them. Hard to do when they're only 2 or 3 though.

Last edited by UPHunter08; 09-08-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Spike

Default Miss Ball State....

My girlfriend at the time became Miss Ball State and I walked out on her.

She made me choose, hunting/fishing......I said queitly back, "Ive hunted and fished all my life and only dated you 8 months'.....then I walked out crying my eyes out, got drunk for 2 days straight. Now, Im married and hunt whenever I want and happy!

Oh, divorced too, she liked it at first...4+years and going awesome with the 2nd.....

My point, if you feell guilty going hunting/fishing your not enjoying yourself!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

Talking Soot, you guys think you got it bad??????

I can't keep the "better half" OUT of my best stands. Sheesh!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tight360
I can't keep the "better half" OUT of my best stands. Sheesh!
LMAO. My wife sites where I put her..lol... But I try and put her in the best spot as she doesn't get much of a chance to go out with her working full time and college.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.