Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Girlfriends/Wives annoyed with your hunting >

Girlfriends/Wives annoyed with your hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Girlfriends/Wives annoyed with your hunting

Old 09-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by FROGGER2
My girlfriend at the time became Miss Ball State and I walked out on her.

She made me choose, hunting/fishing......I said queitly back, "Ive hunted and fished all my life and only dated you 8 months'.....then I walked out crying my eyes out, got drunk for 2 days straight. Now, Im married and hunt whenever I want and happy!

Oh, divorced too, she liked it at first...4+years and going awesome with the 2nd.....

My point, if you feell guilty going hunting/fishing your not enjoying yourself!
You made a good, honest decision on the first girlfriend.

In general, women never change and they have to be truthful whether or not they are willing to live with the hunting. I had the same problems in my marriage while I restored cars. Then it started with the hunting. Now, I am divorced and as happy as I have ever been. Problem was, I did not hunt nearly as much as my friends, bu when I did - all hell broke loose. It is all about respecting each others' time.

The bottom line is to tell a woman this is what you like to do, and if you do not like it then you might need to reconsider another mate. As simple as that. An earlier poster mentioned that women will try to change you...he is so right.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nomorewolves
For me she tried the same thing......so I said OK I will stay home, but it will be sex 24-7. After one weekend of that she said next time, go hunting.....I can go now anytime I want and she has No complaints.
you are a wise man, made her realize that she wanted what you wanted. lol
Old 09-09-2010, 05:28 AM
Spike

mmm635,

You hit the nail on the head. You will not change a woman's mind. A person can change but.........if they dont like it at first, well....

Good luck to all, like I said, I walked out on a potential Miss Indiana and thought I could make it on my first marriage. It just doesnt work.

I like to hunt and not worry about what time I have to be home, is she going to be mad, I'd had 2 hrs to hunt and SO she has 2 hrs to leave and go shopping.

Life is a compromise, but not feeling guilty to going hunting is PRICELESS..................
Old 09-09-2010, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

Someone wise once said “Men marry women thinking they WON’T change. Women marry men think they WILL change.”

The truth is, people DO change. People change on their own and people change because of the people in their life. It’s part of growing. Life doesn’t stand still. But people don’t change who they are in a basic sense. Any true, lasting relationship requires some compromise and appreciation of each other for who they are, not who you want them to be. The key is honesty, so that you know who each other really are, commitment, because there will be rough patches and disagreements, and effective communication to let the other person know where you are coming from and avoid misunderstandings (more communication is not always better, but a certain minimum is necessary).

It sounds like you are addressing the issue in a positive way, with compromise, communication and respect. As others have said: She should love who you are in a basic sense, at your core. Let her know that hunting is part of what makes you who you are, and that you’re not willing to let it go, and that, if you did, you would change who you are in a basic sense. And she doesn’t want THAT, does she? If she does, then you’re not right for each other.

Good luck with this gal (or the next one, if this one doesn't work out)!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Well call me a jerk, But most women try that its a matter of control, I basically told my wife 2 things when we met and she said she didn't want me to hunt or fish.
One I am Not going to stop doing what I have been since I was a kid,
and second I can go hunting and fishing to stay out of trouble or goto the bar and hang out with my buddies and get in to posible trouble. try to bring her thats what I do now or find her a hobby to keep her busy when your out doing your thing everyone needs there own space, otherwise you might as well give all your equipment away and follow her Around like a puppy dog
whats it going to Be ???
Best of Luck
Old 09-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Spike

My girlfriend gripes because she is too busy with nursing school to be able to hunt much right now. That's her only complaint.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

Hunting or a girl? What do you love more? Cause you cant have both :-)
Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
Hunting or a girl? What do you love more? Cause you cant have both :-)
Thats not true at all.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Spike

I am pretty lucky. My GF is really supportive, or at least indifferent. Not indifferent in a bad, she has things that she enjoys doing and she doesn't need me there 24 hours a day She knows that from September till May I am going to be hard to find. But she loves to sunbathe while I fish, so thats nice

Last edited by Arkitekt4040; 09-09-2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Indifferent was a poor choice of words
Old 09-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

After reading some of these post from you guys, I really realize how fortunate I really am. Early on my wife realized there was no way she would get me to cut back on my time in the woods and swamp, so she took an interest in it. She loved the fishing part of it, but at that time didn't really car for the deer hunting because it was so cold. Turkey hunting became a passion for her, so much so that she went to work for the NWTF and The Women in the Outdoors program for 10 years. We don't fish near as much as we used to because of our line of work but when bow season is here, there isn't a night that goes by that one or both of us are not in a stand. We have game and fish mounts on just about every wall in the house. Yes, I am truly blessed to have a bride of 25 years like her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.