Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Ladder Stand vs. Cling/Strap/Hang On Stands >

Ladder Stand vs. Cling/Strap/Hang On Stands

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ladder Stand vs. Cling/Strap/Hang On Stands

Old 08-16-2010, 07:03 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by JNM86WVU
Thanks for all the opinions and advice, I do think I'm leaning more towards a cling on w/ some climbing sticks.. I always wear my HSS Vest in stand, no way I'd be caught without it.. As I said before I'm going to go check out a Big Game Boss XL today.. I like having a bigger platform under me.. Any others I should look at with a bigger platform as well?
If you have any ideas on how you want one...If u have a buddy that can weld...Get together and build you one..I personally build all mine and im more then happy with them
Old 08-16-2010, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

I'm kind of in the same situation. I have a climber that I absolutely love. But I want to get a lock-on stand just to help with getting in and up quicker and quieter and being a little better hidden. I'm looking at the ol' man lock-on with some sticks that'll get me about 20' up with a rating of 300 lbs. The ol' man lock-on looks like it has less bolts and joints so it would be more quiet.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

i saw a cool one, used cables, and the bottom is strapped to your feet...anyone? i cant remember.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

You have to be comfortable. Be able to stand and have the ability to move on the platform if you choose. If you are willing to try I love the lock on very versitile. If you feel not so cozy then remain in the ladder stand. The gorrilla stand is a nice wide platform. This year I am going to try the lone wolf a lot of $$$ coin if your not sure. when you go on cabelas web site they have the customer reviews HUGE help in making the purchase.

Be safe and make the decision that you are going to be comfortable with in your tree " Buckle Up"
Old 08-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use mostly Lock-Ons and Climbers but I occasionally use a ladderstand. For me Ladderstands are nice but usually not high enough and also allow other hunters to get in your stand easily. I think all stands have their place in your hunting arsenal.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

we use rivers edge lock on stands. affordable, good platform, not too heavy. hey man im 6'2 220 and my brother is a behemoth 6'4 280 or so, and lock ons at about 18-20ft are no problem once you get accustomed to them. thats all we use! no ladder stands or ground blinds. couple older built platforms too i guess.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have some of those Rivers Edge Lockons and I like them too.

Originally Posted by Whitetailaddict13
we use rivers edge lock on stands. affordable, good platform, not too heavy. hey man im 6'2 220 and my brother is a behemoth 6'4 280 or so, and lock ons at about 18-20ft are no problem once you get accustomed to them. thats all we use! no ladder stands or ground blinds. couple older built platforms too i guess.