Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Ladder Stand vs. Cling/Strap/Hang On Stands >

Ladder Stand vs. Cling/Strap/Hang On Stands

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ladder Stand vs. Cling/Strap/Hang On Stands

Old 08-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ladder Stand vs. Cling/Strap/Hang On Stands

I've only been hunting out of a tree stand now for a few years (have a slight dislike for heights), but it has always been out of a ladder stand.. Well while we were cleaning some land around one of my tree stand, a stray log got lodged in the bottom rung of the ladder.. And, well the Bobcat moved the log and most of my ladder with it.. I hope I can just find some replacement ladder sections (at Dick's because it's just a cheap Field & Stream one).. But this brings me to my question, this also gives me an excuse to buy a new stand, and I have become fairly comfortable with my ladder stands. I was thinking I might venture out onto the next metaphorical branch and get a cling on stand (currently browsing the Big Game Boss XL), BUT as a rather large person ( 6'2" 275lbs.) I'm still just not 100% sold on moving to a cling on.. I'm just looking for some opinions, advice, experience, or that nice, gentle get your ass out there and you'll be fine..

Thanks in advance..

Last edited by JNM86WVU; 08-14-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go for it! I find that they all have their purposes and uses. I have ladder stands, hang ons, climbers, etc. Check out the Gorilla stands, very comfy. One of the most important thing for me is platform size, most have small platforms making it hard to move around on them. You don't have to hunt 30' to be productive in a hang on, I have some as low as 10' and as high as 30'. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Spike

personally...I like the lock-ons... usually buy couple climbing sticks and peice em together to get 20" and then hang a lock-on...Simple...clean...safe...I also use climbers too..They got some really nice climbers on the market today...real comfortable...espically for us big guys .. Reason i dislike Ladder stands, Is becuz its hard to get 20" high in a treestand widout the ladder shakeing and being really flimsy as u climb the ladder. I bought a wal-mart 2-seater 15" treestand...Just with 1 person, its really flimsy...But its all up to you in the end.... All of stands on the market are good
Old 08-15-2010, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

The key is safety in all stands. A fall from a ladder hurts just as much as one from a hang on. Getting comfortable with a harness and go from there. I used to hunt from ladder stands, but found them non tree friendly. The thing about hang ons is that you can make them feel more comfortable by hanging them in trees with limbs vs trees that are straight, or climber trees. I think once get one and get comfortable you will like your decision.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm your size, probably older, respect hghts and use both types. I wasn't comfortable with hang on's until I learned to take full advantage of a quality vest with linesman's belt for hanging sticks and the stand and a life line with sliding prussic knot for accessing and hunting. I am always connected to the tree. Hang on now are my favorite.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Typical Buck

I love my lock-on myself thats all i hunt out of, i get up 20 feet..
Old 08-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt from 15 ft ladder stands more than anything else. I like how quiet and easy they are to get into. The key is to have your outline broke up with back cover. You can be wide open in the front. Now they are not easy to move around but if you are leaving them all season they can't be beat.....and deer do not spook from them.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

i like lock-ons and ladders, they both are great! just wear a harness and you'll be good to go! hang-ons are nice because you can hang them in pretty close to any tree... unlike climbers and ladder stands.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the opinions and advice, I do think I'm leaning more towards a cling on w/ some climbing sticks.. I always wear my HSS Vest in stand, no way I'd be caught without it.. As I said before I'm going to go check out a Big Game Boss XL today.. I like having a bigger platform under me.. Any others I should look at with a bigger platform as well?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

my next one will be a climber..i hate how loud and wobbly, well just bout everything about my ladder stand...thinkin a climber is the way..many cool ones available, i wouldnt think this would be a good time to find a cheap one..but a strong one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.