Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

find my arrow

Old 08-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Spike

Exclamation find my arrow

ok 8m in a team of trick shooters. I got a new foam target. Well it has vitals. While doing a 30 yard specific vertabre shot. well i missed the arrow went in the ground. whats the eisest way to find it
Old 08-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

try using a rake to "rake" the area and you will hear a clank if you hit the arrow, or end up raking the arrow up, it could have gone pretty far behind or all the way under the dirt/grass.

it might be lost forever, i've lost several arrows like that.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Spike

couldnt that damage the arrow
Old 08-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

well if you have any better ideas... go for it

my way you will have a chance at finding the arrow...

so its your choice, have the very slim possibility of damaging your arrow, or have no arrow at all.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Spike

wel good point
Old 08-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use a leaf rake. Or, what I do is take and arrow and sweep it back and forth in front of me. But the leaf rake is a better idea. I have lost a few arrows, but then found them a week later looking for another missed shot. They would be laying side by side, go figure... lol... I have even found some a month later....
Old 08-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Spike

lol good ideas
Old 08-07-2010, 03:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by petey the hunter
couldnt that damage the arrow
It won't damage it any worse than shooting into the ground! The only damage that might happen is if the arrow stays in the ground to long, the soil could damage it.
I remember when I first started shooting, I spent most of my time looking for arrows that had "submarined".
Old 08-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heres what I do... Guess at where your arrow might have went then take your shoes off and go walk around in that area. Ever since I learned that I have found every arrow i lose.
Your feet can feel soooo much more when your barefoot or have socks on. But be aware... walking around in the grass with socks on can get them dirty so take them off before going back inside your house.

If you missed and didn't see where it went then take your shoes off, go right behind your target and start walking back and forth starting at the nose of your deer (if you have a deer target) and go to the back end. Take a foot step in between each one..
So heres an exampple..

[target]
<------
|
|
v
------>

And so on....

Get the idea? Sorry im pretty bad at explaining things...

Last edited by Pope94/IA; 08-07-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Spike

Well it's the expensive way but I happen to have a cheap metal detector so I get it out when I have missed. Don't understand how the arrows just dissapear under the grass but they do. otherwise it may just be a lost arrow.

HuntinGuy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.