Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 07-21-2010, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look on the bright side BC...I think I may be pushing you over the 20,000 post milestone. Just be sure to thank me in you acceptance speech.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
What really cracks me up about all your posts, is the word "fact". It gives me a laugh like you wouldn't believe. You still don't get it. There is no facts. All these articles this guy posted are opinions. Picking out and choosing data that suits your needs doesn't fly.

This is the internet. Best you can hope for is a good opinion.
You said you work with stats. So you and I both know how they can be skewed to support just about anything. I provided a lot of stats. That was the main purpose for posting those articles. If you read them, they had statistics within them that support the theory that crossbows are not more dangerous, are not an advantage over vertical bows, and will not decimate the deer herd. Please show some statistics that support your OPINIONS. Picking and choosing data is EXACTLY what you were asking others in the thread to do a few pages back. You specifically asked for proof to support their OPINIONS. I hope you don't expect everyone that has an opinion different than yours to go out and conduct their own study.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:40 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by MO Archer
You said you work with stats. So you and I both know how they can be skewed to support just about anything. I provided a lot of stats. That was the main purpose for posting those articles. If you read them, they had statistics within them that support the theory that crossbows are not more dangerous, are not an advantage over vertical bows, and will not decimate the deer herd. Please show some statistics that support your OPINIONS. Picking and choosing data is EXACTLY what you were asking others in the thread to do a few pages back. You specifically asked for proof to support their OPINIONS. I hope you don't expect everyone that has an opinion different than yours to go out and conduct their own study.
I actually enjoyed all your posts, besides the one that had people knocking at my door. I appreciate it. I see where the articles were going, just the only one that really swayed one thing or the other was the Indian Head study. Just wish it had more samples than N=5, from a study point of view, not a arrowgun point of view.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:43 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
This topic was on Maryland xbow season...if you want to talk about all other states start a new topic....This is your advise not mine....
Wow, I can't say I have ever seen a fellow like you. In other words, you love giving advise, and telling folks how they should think. You advised me to just accept it and move on several occassions. Is this how you raise your children? Do you coach them just to accept issues when things look bleak? Or do you suggest they rise to the ocassion? Sure hope your not a football coach.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I look at it like I look at an ak47 assault rifle. Legal to own....legal to hunt with in some places, fun to shoot, but I wouldn’t want to own one.
but do you think AK47's should be banned from rifle season?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Maryland_Whitetail
in Maryland. What is everyones thought? I have mixed feelings.
Wow..over 545 posts and still going strong. All I see is alot of . It's obvious we all have our own opinions on this one.
Not to change the subject, but has this answered the original question?
Boy, you sure stirred up a hornets nest with this one.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

My final post on the subject!
It has been over 40+yrs since the compounds introduction we have seen many advancements in limb material and cam design,and have seen them become faster and smoother to shoot.
But the one limitation they can not over come is the limitations of the shooter, even with higher let-offs we're pulling no more weight then before.

This does not effect the xbow they are only limited to how much the materials used can handle,so where will the future take them? We already have them shooting over 400fps and over 100fp of KE. So with no human limitation how far can they go?

Everyone have a great and safe season and fill the freezer!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Ranger77
but do you think AK47's should be banned from rifle season?
The actual gun itself should fsll under the laws of the state where it is being used. Most places I have hunted limit the round capacity and I believe some don't allow semi automatic rifles. The caliber is another consideration when used for big game. An assalt rifle of sufficient caliber that is semi auto and holds at or under the limit of rounds allowed in the magazine should be able to be used providing everything is within state standards. Around here in the deer woods a person bringing a plastic military looking gun to deer camp would be laughed out of town. Then again we still wear green checked wool coats.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

We already have them shooting over 400fps and over 100fp of KE. So with no human limitation how far can they go?
you know KE is irrelevant in archery, right?

as for how far can they go? I'd bet you $ the top 20 crossbow shooters can't beat the top 20 compounders in a 3D tournament, so regardless of the listed speeds etc crossbows aint no more better in the woods than a compound

a .243 is an exceptionally good rounds, a .223 in the right hands as well - the magazine capacity thing is something I guess, no doubt an idiot would rattle off 30 rounds at a deer running across a field (I thought crossbow shooters were the slobs??)
Old 07-21-2010, 12:22 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Ranger77
you know KE is irrelevant in archery, right?
No, far from irrelevant, just part of the information. This is what happens when folks who know nothing of science speak. I recommend you read Dr. Ashbey's studies. He favors momentum to give a gauge of what a arrow can or cannot do to an animal, and he is dead on correct. KE doesn't tell the whole story, niether does momentum, neither does the arrow material alone, neither does the broadhead cut area niether does the velocity and arrow wieght. But all of them together forms information. And not irrelevant information.

as for how far can they go? I'd bet you $ the top 20 crossbow shooters can't beat the top 20 compounders in a 3D tournament, so regardless of the listed speeds etc crossbows aint no more better in the woods than a compound
with a rest, I bet you they can't.

Last edited by bigcountry; 07-21-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.