Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 06-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Open handed my 1st 3 shots were a 3" group at 40 yards.
You need to go to the IBO Worlds in the crossbow class then - that's better shooting then those who participate and practise to compete - and they shoot from a kneeling, braced position. In fact they shoot on the same courses and stakes as a couple of the compound classes and get their butt handed to them regularly.

2 seasons - ALL archery equipment in bow - ALL guns in guns.
Just that simple.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Spike

I was a little upset when they legalized them here in PA last year. In our six week season, on both public and private land, I only saw two guys with crossbows. Nothing near the virtual flood everyone was anticipating.

From what I've seen in Ohio, it seems like the guys I've run into carrying crossbows were all serious bowhunters just like me. I guess to each his own, if its legal.

Tyler
Old 06-23-2010, 06:08 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
You need to go to the IBO Worlds in the crossbow class then - that's better shooting then those who participate and practise to compete - and they shoot from a kneeling, braced position. In fact they shoot on the same courses and stakes as a couple of the compound classes and get their butt handed to them regularly.

Just that simple.
But why? Why not just one season. Deer season. I know the answer, but its fun to watch these guys squirm and dodge.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy

Just that simple.
Ive never been to any world class event but I cannot believe a 3" group is anything special with a Xbow at 40, I don't consider a 3" group with a normal bow special at 40. I wasn't trying to brag just pointing out how little practice it takes to shoot a $900 Xbow with optics semi-accurately. I got 3 shots total under my belt now with an Xbow and feel I could prob borrow his tomorrow and be perfectly fine to hunt with it.

Not sure I've heard of anyone that after his 1st shooting 3 arrows ever with a bow being ready for the field but archery is archery right?
Old 06-24-2010, 10:02 AM
bigcountry

Wow, when the tough questions come out, it gets awefully quiet on here.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed well over a 100 deer with a vertical bow... Now it's time for me to chill... I'll be wacking and stacking with my xbow... especially from Oct 15 to opening day of rifle season...
Old 06-24-2010, 06:45 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
I've killed well over a 100 deer with a vertical bow... Now it's time for me to chill... I'll be wacking and stacking with my xbow... especially from Oct 15 to opening day of rifle season...
I kinda figured you would. You seem like an arrow gun type of guy.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

opc orn: well anymore senseless argueing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

all you xbow "haters" will just have to accept xbows becoming legal. and don't sterotype us as being careless,unethical,etc... i've seen that from bowhunters(compound and recurve), shotgun hunters,rifle hunters,muzzleload/blackpowder hunters. there are idiots out there no matter what they are using. if you feel so strongly about xbows should have there own season, then take that up with your state reps. and when if that should happen don't be crying and complaining how short your bow season will be or at what time your season will start/stop because you will definitely hate that a whole lot more!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

What attracted me to compound bow hunting was the challenge...and after 2 years it is still a challenge. Trying to stand up, get the bow pulled back, wait for the shot as the strain starts to build, trying to run through a mental checklist of all the things I need to do to make a consistent good shot. In my mind that is what makes archery special.

Resting an X-gun on the climber rail, aiming with a scope, and pulling a gun trigger misses the whole point of archery season.

I hope West Virginia continues to buck the trend.

My fear is that X-gun use will result in higher 'bow season' kills and therefore bow season will get shrunk down into a 2 week season similiar to muzzle loader season. That would really suck as I enjoy being out in the woods with the possibility of taking that trohy buck or fat meat doe.

I guess I will pose that question: Are you willing to sacrifice the nice long bow season by including in it a weapon that is much easier to use and efficient at killing deer?

Last edited by Sniggle; 06-25-2010 at 11:12 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.