Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Rage Broadheads? >

Rage Broadheads?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage Broadheads?

Old 05-20-2010, 03:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by noidurism
i'm not going to say that one brand is better than another. i'm sure some give you better odds of a kill than another especially on "bad" shots. imo they all will work if placed right. and this is my main point here-SHOT PLACEMENT!!!!! alot of people are getting caught up on how big a hole it makes/leaves. while it can help i think we need to get our focus back on shot placement. a right placed shot = a dead deer every time, even with a field point. and as for the blood trail-yes alot of blood makes it easy to find. with little blood it is harder to find, with the right shot placement, you know it's dead and out there. it will probably take longer to find but you will find it if you don't give up(whether trailing hard to see blood spots or grid searching) and it will make you become a better blood trailer.
oh and by the way if you're curious on what i use- spitfire. i have no desire to try anything else because they work for me!
Old 05-20-2010, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

How does Rage do such a great job of creating their own Marketing plan and they don't spend a penny. There are 50 great heads out there with equal or better killing power and all I read about is Rage.

Genious Marketing guys!!!!

I am not paying their prices and getting sucked in to that.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Spike

I have used these heads with good success. As people have said, it does not penetrate very good. It doesn't matter if the animal goes 40 yards at the most. When the animal starts running, every step it takes will jar the arrow and cut even more in every direction. These heads are accurate and are one of the largest cutting diameters on the market.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been shooting the 3 blade Rage heads 2 years now
Did they make poor shots better ....no
As I am very carefull and have only lost 1 deer , and it was recover by a road hunter before we could find it

But I can say I have never had a better blood trail

That is if I needed it
I have had 3 deer in the last 2 years go less than 20 yds , one never made it 10 yds
And yes the shots were double lung

I have only had one not be a complete pass through
And that one , I centered the off shoulder on a going away doe
From a ground blind

She fell within 40 yds the first time and only made it 60 yds total

And for the high price ...LOL
I bought another 4 packs at $20.99 each on close out the first week of Jan
The store didn't want them around all summer

John

Last edited by johnch; 05-22-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

i think its best when the arrow is stuck and everytime that deer its a tree or branch that broad head tears causing more damage and a better blood trail.
I disagree for many reasons. When a deer takes off with an arrow in him it almost always backs out a little unless it's lodged in something solid like bone. The second an expandable tipped broadhead starts to back out even a little the blades tend to close and therefore won't cut much of anything. Second it would be miraculous if a broadhead remained in a vital spot as the deer ran. It will either be lodged in the far side past the vitals or back out to the near side short of the vitals. And finally, I don't care if a broadhead starts spinning like a blender inside a deer, you will never "consistently" get better bloodtrails without an exit hole. Especially if you hunt out of tree stands where, because of the angle of the shot, the exit hole will be substantially lower on the far side of the animal than the entrance hole. Blood filling the chest cavity will reach that lower exit hole quicker than the entry hole and start putting blood on the ground faster. Plus there's just the simple logistical fact that two holes of the same size bleed more than just one.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Todd1700
I disagree for many reasons. When a deer takes off with an arrow in him it almost always backs out a little unless it's lodged in something solid like bone. The second an expandable tipped broadhead starts to back out even a little the blades tend to close and therefore won't cut much of anything. Second it would be miraculous if a broadhead remained in a vital spot as the deer ran. It will either be lodged in the far side past the vitals or back out to the near side short of the vitals. And finally, I don't care if a broadhead starts spinning like a blender inside a deer, you will never "consistently" get better bloodtrails without an exit hole. Especially if you hunt out of tree stands where, because of the angle of the shot, the exit hole will be substantially lower on the far side of the animal than the entrance hole. Blood filling the chest cavity will reach that lower exit hole quicker than the entry hole and start putting blood on the ground faster. Plus there's just the simple logistical fact that two holes of the same size bleed more than just one.
I agree,two holes are better than one!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer a fixed head. All I had when I started and they work. That being said, I believe that Rage's will perform, if on a bow with adequate energy for the head, as they advertise. The more tissue that is cut, the more blood there will be. Of course, without an exit hole, as mentioned previously by several, it will take longer for that blood to become apparent and trailable (is that a word?). Now, I still prefer a fixed head. The ONLY thing I will ever have to worry about is putting it where I am supposed to. While they may be petty worries, I don't have to think about a mechanical not opening, or worry about one opening in my quiver. To each his own...they all do what they are supposed to, and in general but not always, you get what you pay for.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Spike

I bought a pack of the 2 blades last year just to try them out, no luck with the bow last year but before i was set on the muzzy 3 blade, and nothing less, first i bought the old bushmaster cheapo's at meijer, lol what a waste, after that it's been muzzy's.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Spike

you guys gotta read the articles on deerfear.com, they're sick. I'm sure you've already heard of the site, most talked about hunt fish trap site on the net
Old 05-26-2010, 12:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bible_Man
I prefer a fixed head. All I had when I started and they work. That being said, I believe that Rage's will perform, if on a bow with adequate energy for the head, as they advertise. The more tissue that is cut, the more blood there will be. Of course, without an exit hole, as mentioned previously by several, it will take longer for that blood to become apparent and trailable (is that a word?). Now, I still prefer a fixed head. The ONLY thing I will ever have to worry about is putting it where I am supposed to. While they may be petty worries, I don't have to think about a mechanical not opening, or worry about one opening in my quiver. To each his own...they all do what they are supposed to, and in general but not always, you get what you pay for.
eloquently said

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.