Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Rage Broadheads? >

Rage Broadheads?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage Broadheads?

Old 05-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ozbowhunter
give me a pack of rage and you will find them in the bin to much hype makes me uninterested
Thank you for helping to solidify my point

And that goes both ways, as many people are to enveloped in their own decisions to even thoroughly try anything else, but yet will vote in a poll for their fav... Its not wrong to do that or be that way b/c that is choice, but it definately makes polls and opinions less credible.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

A few years ago some hunters wanted to shoot hogs off the bay with their bows. Rage broadheads were getting popular and thats what all of them had when they go to my camp. Out of six hogs none expired with one shot. Most took three four and five shots similar to the buffalo hunt scene in dances with wolves. At one point I went to my truck and unscrewed some thunderheads and they got clean passes and dead hogs. Just my experiences not the final say by any means, no idea how they perform on deer.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22:35
This is a very old, old ,old topic.
Bottom line-Rage has good entry hole size but your chances of getting a pass through are 1 out of 10.
Go with a cheaper broad head that will pass through something like muzzy or slick trick will do the same and even a better job with killing deer.
Even thought they are only about 1 1/8 inch in diameter you will almost always get a pass through.
Hope that helps.
1 out of 10?

I shoot only 260fps and I am 5 for 5 on passthroughs on big mature Kansas and Iowa bucks over the last few years. I have 2 buddies that hunt with me and they shoot roughly the same speed and they are 5 for 6 and the only one that didn't lodged into the opposite shoulder. That's 10 out of 11.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Rage broadhead has had reported problems with penetration. I hear it from customers on a regular basis. They are one of about 3 mechanicals I would use if I were to choose to use a mechanical, but I personally don't see the big advantage and there are disadvantages to deal with.

I have used Slick Tricks since 03 and have been very satisfied with every part of their performance.

This fall I will undoubtedly have one of my bows setup to again be shooting Grizz Tricks, although one of my bows will be setup with the Reign Broadhead in the quiver. All Stainless steel construction, great flight, and should get good holes with great penetration. The Reign will be a little pricier than Tricks.

Sometimes it's fun to try something new!

Dan
Old 05-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

thunderhead 125 grain for the simple reason they work and i have never had a problem with them no hype and plenty of kills works for me
Old 05-11-2010, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

I have shot thunderheads and mussy's for years. I went ahead and tried a three blade rage last year and shot my first buck with it. I took a 40 yard shot and know I hit it perfect. I waited and then went and looked for blood and found what look like someone took a 5 gallon bucket of blood and dumped it all the way to the deer, that was down 60 yards away. Yes maybe that was one occasion and not typical, but I am going to try again this year. For NOW, I am a believer........ I have never in 20 years seen that much blood.... Good luck.....
Old 05-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by markjenna
I took a 40 yard shot and know I hit it perfect. I waited and then went and looked for blood and found what look like someone took a 5 gallon bucket of blood and dumped it all the way to the deer, that was down 60 yards away
Not trying to bash you or Rage,but I wouldn't call a 60 yard tracking job a perfect shot! I have had terrible shots that hit the femoral artery that dumped that kinda blood trail and less than 15 yards,but I wouldn't start recommending that you start aiming at a deers ass!
I agree that RAGE broadheads make a heck of a hole,but so will my
.300win mag. I too like and strive for a short blood trail but with a well placed shot,you will achieve both!
Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wvnimrod
Not trying to bash you or Rage,but I wouldn't call a 60 yard tracking job a perfect shot! I have had terrible shots that hit the femoral artery that dumped that kinda blood trail and less than 15 yards,but I wouldn't start recommending that you start aiming at a deers ass!
.300win mag. I too like and strive for a short blood trail but with a well placed shot,you will achieve both!
Id say 60 is fine for a whitetail kill... Thats only what... 30 or so bounds by a deer? a 60 for a human is under 10 seconds, and for a deer id assume half of that so they can cover some ground if they have a bit of open room to run.

Ive hit some deer perfectly and theyve went that far.

Although in the past 2 only 1 has made it past about 45

Not arguing, just saying I wouldnt consider 60 un-acceptable
Old 05-12-2010, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wvnimrod

Do you understand deer and how far deer can go after shooting them "perfect".

I have shot many double lung or heart shots and most all of them go at least 40-80 yards on these hits. Just because you make a perfect shot doesn't mean they're falling over after 20 yards.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by drockw
Although in the past 2 only 1 has made it past about 45

Not arguing, just saying I wouldnt consider 60 un-acceptable
60 yards is actually fine,
I in no way ment that as an insult,just an example.
My point is although you had an awsome bloodtrail the deer was recovered no sooner than with any other broadhead(ie.your last 2 deer)one went 60yards(rage)the other 45yards(i guess from your first post a muzzy or thunderhead)
I just think that alot of newbee's to bowhunting can and will get sucked in by all the Hype on the Rage and think they will make up for lack of shot placement(practice)the rage is a decent broadhead if your bow has enough KE to use them and you make good shot placement,just as with any other broadhead.
And yes Annika3 I do know how far a deer will travel after a perfect shot,and thats my point the Rage although it may or maynot leave a good bloodtrail it WILL not bring down a deer any sooner than any other GOOD broadhead.But with all the Hype you hear about them you would think they killed like a rifle,they DO NOT!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.