HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rage Broadheads?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 04:29 AM
Todd1700
Nontypical Buck

i think its best when the arrow is stuck and everytime that deer its a tree or branch that broad head tears causing more damage and a better blood trail.
I disagree for many reasons. When a deer takes off with an arrow in him it almost always backs out a little unless it's lodged in something solid like bone. The second an expandable tipped broadhead starts to back out even a little the blades tend to close and therefore won't cut much of anything. Second it would be miraculous if a broadhead remained in a vital spot as the deer ran. It will either be lodged in the far side past the vitals or back out to the near side short of the vitals. And finally, I don't care if a broadhead starts spinning like a blender inside a deer, you will never "consistently" get better bloodtrails without an exit hole. Especially if you hunt out of tree stands where, because of the angle of the shot, the exit hole will be substantially lower on the far side of the animal than the entrance hole. Blood filling the chest cavity will reach that lower exit hole quicker than the entry hole and start putting blood on the ground faster. Plus there's just the simple logistical fact that two holes of the same size bleed more than just one.