Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What to do about stinky feet >

What to do about stinky feet

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to do about stinky feet

Old 02-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by noidurism
how and where do you store your boots when you're not using them?

scent free bag..i put a lil dirt (lol its really sand lol) ,leaves and pine needles in mine.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

neoprene socks will wick the moisture out, and also those hand wipes ya get from the doctors office, they have benzalkonium chloride in them, its miricle werker, and if those creams burn ya on any rash, this stops the itching and kills the fungus (including ring worm and jock itch) without that burning sensation. lol no this will not stop the burn when you pee, go see a doctor lol

JD sorry for quoting you, i meant to quote who ever was talkin bout fungus'
Originally Posted by jddeadeye
I also always were rubber boots but I could see them making the foot sweat more. I never try it but some people swear by fox urine on the bottom of the boots. I wonder if putting alittle baking soda in the bottom of the boot would also help.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Also, be mindful of your walk in. If deer are crossing your path and catching your scent that means you are crossing theirs. Take the long way around to your stand. Avoid trails and approach your stand from downwind. Little details make a big difference.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by noidurism
how and where do you store your boots when you're not using them?
I store them in my truck during the season. I never bring them inside or even drive to and from my spot with them on. I guess I should have been more clear. I don't think it's actually my feet but just the odors of the boots themselves. I am currently wearing Rocky Cornstalkers. They are a great boot as far as being and staying waterproof but the deer seem to always be sniffing where I've walked. This seems to be a problem with any footwear I've ever had, including rubber boots. As I mentioned before, this past season I tried a product called deer dander and that seemed to help some. Actually I had a doe get on it and she actually came right to the base of my tree.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 02-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pastor Jim,

There has to be something you are missing because your routine seems over the top with extra steps that I do not have to do to keep the deer from picking up my trail.

I had a couple of deer pick up the scent trail from my boots early last season. Here is what I did to cure it. My problem stemmed from putting on my boots in the garage then walking across the garage floor to the outside. I now dress and leave from my basement and patio. It made a world of difference.

I walked through mud, dirt, creek water, and anything natural that I could find. The last step was to crush a couple of hedge apples and smear them all over my boots. I then moved my boots away from anything unrelated to the outdoors. They stayed outside. I brought them inside only during rain events or hung them upside down outside in the rain. When inside, I store them on newspaper away from anything that is scented or odorous. I also stop on the way to my stand and grind my boots in mud or dirt.

I did that once in a cow pie. All was good until I had to climb down from the tree and put my hands on the tree steps. Never again will I knowingly step in poop then climb.

Pretty simple yet very effective. You just have to season them to your area and not expose them to anything foreign. Again, there has to be something you are missing.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Xscent socks, use non-scented Sure on the soles of my feet, and spray down my boots (and everything else) with Scent-Killer or DDW before I walk into the hunting area, regardless of whether or not I'm wearing rubber boots.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

during hunting season i always keep mine outside(i made a boot hanger so they are upside down and won't get wet on the inside). i also make sure no pets,animals,grill smoke,dryer vent air, etc.. can get to them. when i go hunting, i put them in a garbage bag, tie it up until i'm outside of my vehicle ready to hunt. i also try to walk through mud and creeks,and even deer poop, it works with no problem for me. (i use to use red fox urine,skunk scent,doe/buck scent,apples,pears,etc... but i quit wasting $ on that even though it helped). during the off season i store mine in 2 garbage bags until 3 wks. prior to season, then back outside they go rain,snow,or sunshine. but always keep in mind that no matter what anyone does, no one can ever be scent free. if nothing still works try walking an extra 1/2 mile to 1 mile out of your way to get to your spot(if possible) and always play the wind. hope you can find a solution!!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually hunt on farms, so I sometimes rub them in DRY cow patties. Get a little bit of cover scent on them.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PastorJim08
I store them in my truck during the season. I never bring them inside or even drive to and from my spot with them on. I guess I should have been more clear. I don't think it's actually my feet but just the odors of the boots themselves. I am currently wearing Rocky Cornstalkers. They are a great boot as far as being and staying waterproof but the deer seem to always be sniffing where I've walked. This seems to be a problem with any footwear I've ever had, including rubber boots. As I mentioned before, this past season I tried a product called deer dander and that seemed to help some. Actually I had a doe get on it and she actually came right to the base of my tree.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

are you tucking your pants into your boots, and your top into your bottoms, and your hood into your top, and wearing gloves?are you sprayin scent spray all over you, including the bottom of your boots? if not then you are just sprinkling scent where ever you walk....like a salt shaker of human skin cells.