HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What to do about stinky feet
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 09:36 AM
rogerstv
Nontypical Buck

Pastor Jim,

There has to be something you are missing because your routine seems over the top with extra steps that I do not have to do to keep the deer from picking up my trail.

I had a couple of deer pick up the scent trail from my boots early last season. Here is what I did to cure it. My problem stemmed from putting on my boots in the garage then walking across the garage floor to the outside. I now dress and leave from my basement and patio. It made a world of difference.

I walked through mud, dirt, creek water, and anything natural that I could find. The last step was to crush a couple of hedge apples and smear them all over my boots. I then moved my boots away from anything unrelated to the outdoors. They stayed outside. I brought them inside only during rain events or hung them upside down outside in the rain. When inside, I store them on newspaper away from anything that is scented or odorous. I also stop on the way to my stand and grind my boots in mud or dirt.

I did that once in a cow pie. All was good until I had to climb down from the tree and put my hands on the tree steps. Never again will I knowingly step in poop then climb.

Pretty simple yet very effective. You just have to season them to your area and not expose them to anything foreign. Again, there has to be something you are missing.