Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Lets talk about light, hardcore, multiple day, backcountry bowhunting gear. >

Lets talk about light, hardcore, multiple day, backcountry bowhunting gear.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lets talk about light, hardcore, multiple day, backcountry bowhunting gear.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Spike

Thumbs up Lets talk about light, hardcore, multiple day, backcountry bowhunting gear.

Hello all! I want to talk about light, minimalist gear that gets you by in the backcountry. I have spent the last ten years trying different gear such as packs, stoves, tents, etc. I am going to display a list of what I have that allows me to go on multiple day hunts and be extremely comfortable, which has ultimately helped me to be so successful. I have a few gaps in my list that I want to fill and that is why I am adding this thread. Ultimately I want to here from others that do what I do. Lets talk! Here we go!

Backpack: Badlands 4500
I am currently looking at a Mystery Nice Frame, which seems to fit my needs. The Nice frame and load cells seem to be a little more versitile.

Sleeping bag: Sierra Designs Trade Wind 15 degree
Great spring, fall, summer bag. Packs small and is very light.

Shelter: Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy
Kifaru 2 Man Tipi
Kelty Noah's Tarp 9
For most all my early fall elk hunts I use the bivy and tarp. As far as I am concerned, the OR bivy is the best on the market. The tarp adds additional protection from rain and snow, plus it is large enough to store all your gear to keep it dry. The Kifaru tent is great for drier climates such as MT, but it tends to collect a lot of condensation. As far as packablility and weight, it is the best I have found.

Sleeping pad: Thermarest paclite
I have used a thermarest for all my hunts. I have had multiple pads go flat in the middle of the hunt, but I still stick with them. I am looking at their new Neo Air. Any suggestions or comments?

Stove: Jetboil
I use my jetboil only for boiling water. I like keeping it clean, plus it tends to get food stuck in the bottom if you cook things like oatmeal or top raemen. I stick to freeze dried meals, instant coffee, and instant oatmeal. The jetboil packs small, is extremely fuel efficient, and is very light. It is the ideal set up for one or two people.

Food: Mountain House Freeze Dried Meals (Dinner)
MRE's (Lunch) or snacks such as dried fruit, jerky, or trail mix.
Instant oatmeal, instant coffee, or granola bars (Breakfast)
I can't go anywhere without a little coffee in the morning...it helps me when planning the daily activities.

This is just a starter list for now. I could go on and on about clothing, but I will save that for later. I will update this list and organize later. Help me make the ultimate backcountry bowhunting gear list! Please leave some feedback! Enjoy!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

I have the Neo-Air and love it. It packs the size of 1 liter water bottle, is easy to inflate, and is by far the most comfortable, and warm pad I have ever used.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

I have not figured out minimalist thing yet and probably won't. my pack is 60+ lbs for 7 day hunt for goat. the climb is tough at 60 years old. hoping i have at least one more hunt left in me. working on my weigh to be able to go this fall. longest hike in was 2 days- ?25-30 miles for sheep ....blister city!!!! next year same hike was easier. .....that was 30 years ago.
use MSR stove " think i have the DRAGONFLY
wiggy's sleeping bag depends on the time of year which opne i take.
Pack- Barneys frame with the big Barneys "moose Bag" (from store in Anchorage)
dinner- mtn house ; lunch - 1 cup of trail mix; bkft- 2 packs of oatmeal plus 3-4 candy bars for snacks.
MSR- water pump
have old northface four season tent VE 24 (9-1/2 lb) alot of wt but a shelter that will last in 100+mph wind. ( 70 IS ABOUT MAX I HAVE BEEN IN, NOT MUCH FUN ) have been using it since 1982.
THERMAREST MATRESS
PETER STORM RAIN GEAR ALSO HEAVY BUT KEEPS YOUR DRY IN DAY AFTER DAY DRIVING RAIN.
I TEND TO CARRY TOO MUCH " WHAT IF " STUFF.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Spike

Thanks for the reply Craitchky. I have my eye on the Neo Air, but one thing worries me about how they hold up. One little puncture wound and your trip is ruined as opposed to a little puncture wound to the Pro lites and they seem to provide atleast a little comfort when not fully inflated. Perhaps a light tarp underneath and careful placement would suffice. Outdoor research makes an inflatable pad much like the Neo Air, but the reviews are not as good.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Spike

Great reply AK NIMROD! First of all, I pray that I can still do what you do at 60 years old! I hate to say it, but the only way I have been able to cut my pack weight down is to spend more money on "quality" gear. i.e. gortex clothing, sleeping bags, tents, etc. The bulkiest items in my pack is definately my clothes. I need to find multi-purpose clothing for all the elements, yet being really quiet. I have been looking at Sitka gear for its durability and quality, but I dont know if it is worth the price.

All in all, if what you have in your bag works for you then stick with it! It is just a matter of how your knees are going to hold up! If you have any questions about how to lighten your load, then please leave a post!
Old 02-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

The neo-air pad comes with a repair kit, small and easy to pack, did not need to try it out, but it looks like it would do the job.
I am with AK when it comes to minimalist, I haven't quite figured it out yet. That is why there are 3 llamas in my avatar.
All you can do is get out there and try, see what you used, what you didn't, and make adjustments from there.

Good Luck

Rick
Old 07-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Spike

The badlands 4500 is a great pack but if your trips arent going to be longer that 4 or 5 days then a pack like the sacrifice or 2800. I have a diablo for full days and the ultraday for hikes that are only a few hours long. I got mine off www.bugsnbullets.com and got free shipping and free accessories with each of em.

i agree with thermarest for the matress pad. I have the prolite and really am thinking about heading toward a thicker pack mattress like that neoair.

i also like the jetboil that i have been using for four years. water boils so fast it's rediculous.

but boots should almost be on that list especially when you are considering long trips ( though clothing could take a while ) i have kenetrek that i got from that same bugsnbullets.com with free gaiters and shipping and i have had the same pair for 4 years. I have gone on some insanely long hikes in the beartooth wilderness in montana with other long and short hikes. I have also hunted bear, elk, antelope, deer and turkey in them and have not had a better/more comfortable pair of boots previously. I even use them for fishing.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

I just stumbled on this thread, and can only hope some day I can pack that much stuff into the woods and hunt sucessfully. Very impressive, best of luck to all of you. Im curently crying about how heavy my climbing stand is.. I couldnt survive 5 hrs with yall lol