HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lets talk about light, hardcore, multiple day, backcountry bowhunting gear.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:57 PM
mtbhunter
Spike

Thumbs up Lets talk about light, hardcore, multiple day, backcountry bowhunting gear.

Hello all! I want to talk about light, minimalist gear that gets you by in the backcountry. I have spent the last ten years trying different gear such as packs, stoves, tents, etc. I am going to display a list of what I have that allows me to go on multiple day hunts and be extremely comfortable, which has ultimately helped me to be so successful. I have a few gaps in my list that I want to fill and that is why I am adding this thread. Ultimately I want to here from others that do what I do. Lets talk! Here we go!

Backpack: Badlands 4500
I am currently looking at a Mystery Nice Frame, which seems to fit my needs. The Nice frame and load cells seem to be a little more versitile.

Sleeping bag: Sierra Designs Trade Wind 15 degree
Great spring, fall, summer bag. Packs small and is very light.

Shelter: Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy
Kifaru 2 Man Tipi
Kelty Noah's Tarp 9
For most all my early fall elk hunts I use the bivy and tarp. As far as I am concerned, the OR bivy is the best on the market. The tarp adds additional protection from rain and snow, plus it is large enough to store all your gear to keep it dry. The Kifaru tent is great for drier climates such as MT, but it tends to collect a lot of condensation. As far as packablility and weight, it is the best I have found.

Sleeping pad: Thermarest paclite
I have used a thermarest for all my hunts. I have had multiple pads go flat in the middle of the hunt, but I still stick with them. I am looking at their new Neo Air. Any suggestions or comments?

Stove: Jetboil
I use my jetboil only for boiling water. I like keeping it clean, plus it tends to get food stuck in the bottom if you cook things like oatmeal or top raemen. I stick to freeze dried meals, instant coffee, and instant oatmeal. The jetboil packs small, is extremely fuel efficient, and is very light. It is the ideal set up for one or two people.

Food: Mountain House Freeze Dried Meals (Dinner)
MRE's (Lunch) or snacks such as dried fruit, jerky, or trail mix.
Instant oatmeal, instant coffee, or granola bars (Breakfast)
I can't go anywhere without a little coffee in the morning...it helps me when planning the daily activities.

This is just a starter list for now. I could go on and on about clothing, but I will save that for later. I will update this list and organize later. Help me make the ultimate backcountry bowhunting gear list! Please leave some feedback! Enjoy!