Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Mechanical VS Fixed Blade >

Mechanical VS Fixed Blade

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanical VS Fixed Blade

Old 01-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Howler
[QUOTEI now prefer fixed because they seem to to more damage when inside a running deer.]
Which is it then Oldbucks, YOUR set up or your friends set-up? You've now changed your story!! You started off the thread saying that YOU NOW PREFER FIXED!! And then in your last post you say "his set-up"! So which is it, yours or his or........
Either way, if a fixed blade COC broadhead is staying in a deer, then either both shoulders were hit or you're having penetration issues from lack of tuning or something. I get pass throughs on elk with a 375 gr. arrow with 100 gr. Magnus snuffers, including a complete pass through on an elk at 51 yards last year. SO, you tell me how it is that you or your freind can't get an arrow through a whitetail at 25 yards. Don't make since now does it! Somethings amiss!![/QUOTE]

Sorry for being a little confusing I've used both types with success but the reason why I switched is because of my hunting buddy. I explained in another reply what had happened to him with mechanicals and then explained his setup in another reply. If you read all of the post it's tough to follow but it's all there. Based off what I have seen tracking and from what he has told me I decided to stick with a fixed it just made more sense to me.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:34 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BigBuck95
The fixed blades are good, and they work great. I used them this year. I plan on, however, using the spitfires next season, and I have seen the shot holes from them and well. . . .wow.
Can't wait to see how they work. . . . . .
in the end. . . Win: mechanical
BigBuck95
that's what i've been using for 3yrs. now. the only time they haven't woked for me was when the deer was at an extreme angle( to which now i know i shouldn't have taken the shot) but it did kill the deer because i found it 3 days later about 1 mile away. other then that i have never had a problem.....and for the hole they leave, you got it right.....wow!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Rage2 and I have shot aout 25 deer with them with no problems. They are well-suited to my hunting which is mostly suburban. Because of the suburban geography contraints, I want the shortest possible blood trails. For the same reason, I also don't take long or iffy shots.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by noidurism
that's what i've been using for 3yrs. now. the only time they haven't woked for me was when the deer was at an extreme angle( to which now i know i shouldn't have taken the shot) but it did kill the deer because i found it 3 days later about 1 mile away. other then that i have never had a problem.....and for the hole they leave, you got it right.....wow!
sorry i forgot to add that i was talking about the spitfires. plus i have been able to re-use them without replacing any of the blades so far. they work for me and do a great job so i have no reason to try something else!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot Mechanical's for years, still keep one in my quiver from time to time, but I've been shooting ST's the last few, and been very happy with them.

I've shot deer w/ Wasp Jak-Hammers, Spitfires, NAP Shockwave, and even Eastman/Carbon Express Wal-Mart Expandables. All did the job appropriately, and render animals dead w/ good shot placement, once I was saved by the LARGE cutting diameter as my shot was off mark d/t a deer jumping big time.

I've killed deer w/ Muzzy, TH'd, ST's (both std. and Magnums), and again, the Walmart Special Eastman Fixed BH. Each of them likewise did it's job when it was time to do it's job.

Of all the BH's I've shot, only ONE is extremely durable, and completely reusable after EVERY kill.....that BH is a Slick Trick. For that reason, they are the BH that is in my quiver. They fly great, are tough as hell, and do the work they were made to do.

No BH I've ever shot FAILED, only the ARCHER failed by not putting the BH where it was supposed to be!!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:18 AM
Spike

I just shot my first deer this october and I used the rage now I will say they are a bit frustrating at times because of the O-ring system that holds the blades in but there is no denying that when I shot high and back on my deer that it was the broadhead that killed him the hole was tremendous and he made it maybe seventy yards. On a bad shot I think that is good thing. Also I have run into minor variations in accuracy when shooting fixed blades. But i will tell you one thing i would go to the store look at the broadheads pick out the one that you feel gives you the most confidence because if you are not confident with your equiptment you wont be comfortable with your shot and that is when mistakes happen.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Spike

I like fixed blade. My reason is I beleive in keeping it simple in all aspects of the hunt. Just like anything else, the more moving parts the more that can go wrong.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Fork Horn

alls i got to say is ive killed more deer with my mechanical head than fixed blade heads. my vortex heads have never failed me with many years of use.they are my number 1 choice.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had an older bow that I hunted with for 23 years and used aluminum arrows and 3 blade wasp fixed broadheads. They hit where I aimed and I never had any problems and lost count of the deer I killed with them. I had it set at 50 lbs draw weight and it only 40 or 50% let off and most shots were pass throughs. I can only remember 2 or 3 that dropped within 40 or 50 yards with one going only 15 yards. 5 years ago I switched to a newer, faster bow, turned the weight up to 65lbs and started using carbon arrows and mechanical broadheads. Out of the 14 deer I've killed with it, I've literally watched 10 or 11 of them drop within 40 yards and only had a couple to go more than 100 yards. All were pass throughs and left very easy to follow bloodtrails. It would be hard for me to switch back to fixed broadheads at this point. I would never even consider using a mechanical out of the old bow because I just don't think it would have enough energy to give me a pass through. Who knows, as I get older and have to lower my poundage on the newer bow, I may go back to fixed blades.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Quite the topic. Rages have worked fine for me as do Slick Tricks. There are so many great heads today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.