Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Mechanical VS Fixed Blade >

Mechanical VS Fixed Blade

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanical VS Fixed Blade

Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Spike

Default Mechanical VS Fixed Blade

What do you think works best mechanical or fixed blade broadheads I've used both and I've heard the arguements from both sides I want to hear everyone elses opinion and experiences. I now prefer fixed because they seem to to more damage when inside a running deer.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

i quit using mechanical bh's a few years ago, i only used fixed bh's now and havnt been disappointed once, they go through and through and always make a canoe outta its victims.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

I have not shot either because I just purchased my bow. I will keep a close eye on this to see what everyone else has to say.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Hands down, fixed. Mechs have too many chances to fail.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

fixed - cut on contact.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

The fixed blades are good, and they work great. I used them this year. I plan on, however, using the spitfires next season, and I have seen the shot holes from them and well. . . .wow.
Can't wait to see how they work. . . . . .
in the end. . . Win: mechanical
BigBuck95
Old 01-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BigBuck95
The fixed blades are good, and they work great. I used them this year. I plan on, however, using the spitfires next season, and I have seen the shot holes from them and well. . . .wow.
BigBuck95
B

hey bigbuck just FYI the spitfires are the reason I switch back to fixed blade. My uncle and I hunt together and he has lost two big bucks because of them. The first may be just bad luck. He had the deer right under his stand and burried the arrow upto the nock right between the shoulder blades and somehow missed the vitals. We believe that after the shot fixed blades do alot of damage when lodge inside the chest cavity and the chances would have been alot better having a fixed blade in the chest like that. The second buck was quartering towards him his shot was a little further back than he wanted but still could have hit the liver or other major organ. He watched his buck with blood just spraying everywhere start walking in circles like it was going to drop instead it actually reached Back and pulled the arrow out. That would never happen with a fixed blade he actually would most likely finIshed him self off. With a mechanical when the blades open they only cut one way and then close when pulled on. But if you can make a perfect shot everytime you've got nothing to worry about a double lung shot is the same no matter what you use.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by OldBucks&BigBass
B

hey bigbuck just FYI the spitfires are the reason I switch back to fixed blade. My uncle and I hunt together and he has lost two big bucks because of them. The first may be just bad luck. He had the deer right under his stand and burried the arrow upto the nock right between the shoulder blades and somehow missed the vitals. We believe that after the shot fixed blades do alot of damage when lodge inside the chest cavity and the chances would have been alot better having a fixed blade in the chest like that. The second buck was quartering towards him his shot was a little further back than he wanted but still could have hit the liver or other major organ. He watched his buck with blood just spraying everywhere start walking in circles like it was going to drop instead it actually reached Back and pulled the arrow out. That would never happen with a fixed blade he actually would most likely finIshed him self off. With a mechanical when the blades open they only cut one way and then close when pulled on. But if you can make a perfect shot everytime you've got nothing to worry about a double lung shot is the same no matter what you use.

With all due respect, poor shot selection in both cases in my honest opinion. It's a bit of a stretch to blame the broadhead in either case. I personally never count on my equipment to help compensate for poor shots/choices, but to each his own. I have used both mechanicals (spitfires) and fixed blade (thunderheads) with good success and have never lost a Deer with either that I would blame on the broadhead. I'm going to try the 2 blade Rage broadheads this year, so it's back to mechanical for me. IMHO most (but not all!) Deer are lost due to operator error, not equipment failure.

Last edited by Kid; 01-25-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have used both with no problems
Old 01-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BigBuck95
BigBuck95
Originally Posted by Kid
With all due respect, poor shot selection in both cases in my honest opinion. It's a bit of a stretch to blame the broadhead in either case. I personally never count on my equipment to help compensate for poor shots/choices, but to each his own. I have used both mechanicals (spitfires) and fixed blade (thunderheads) with good success and have never lost a Deer with either that I would blame on the broadhead. I'm going to try the 2 blade Rage broadheads this year, so it's back to mechanical for me. IMHO most (but not all!) Deer are lost due to operator error, not equipment failure.
I agree with you completly I even said he made poor shots but what iam saying is that I believe he would of had a better chance if the arrow stayed in and continued to do more damage as the deer was running or pulling on it. And like i also said if you make a good shot there's no difference in what you use. But in my opinion fixed blades are more forgiving when a bad hit is made.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.