Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Have you ever considered trad. archery hunting? >

Have you ever considered trad. archery hunting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have you ever considered trad. archery hunting?

Old 01-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started shooting traditional in 1956 & killed my 1st deer in 1958 & another 37 animals b/4 switching to compound in the 70s. I dug out one of my old 60# recurves & plan on using it this coming year for a hog & a deer just for the heck of it.

Traditionakl does take more practice to be proficient (My opinion) but if you keep your shots @ 25 yds & under you should do just fine.

Some pics from back then 1958 through maybe 1965
Attached Thumbnails Have you ever considered trad. archery hunting?-scan0001.jpg   Have you ever considered trad. archery hunting?-scan0003.jpg   Have you ever considered trad. archery hunting?-scan0008.jpg   Have you ever considered trad. archery hunting?-scan0053.jpg  
Old 01-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Bartender

I can see me shoot trad in the next year or two. I would probably use both compound and trad gear through out the season.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Spike

I shoot both trad and compound. There is so much more a kick out of getting a deer with a traditional bow it is unreal. Take time to learn. I can walk out on our deck and shoot a stuffed animal hanging on my target and nail it at 20 yds almost every time. Can take three to five steps either way and do the same thing. Neet No range finder or pins. Had my wife shine a flashling only on the targed one dark night and i can hit it the same. It is a 20yd game most of the time. Most people now don't have the time and patientce to learn or even get that close to their game. You have to put time into it. Made my own Ghille suit and sat in a weed fence row and shot my first buck eye level at 12 yds. What a rush. Picked up my compound to go the other day and shot and then the recurve and the recurve hit closer out of three arrows so took it hunting instead. Don't need speed. Just a quiet and accurate shot. Love it.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot a recurve exclusively, but taking a 56" bow into the woods is somewhat clumsy, especially in a pop-up blind, so I'm now shopping for a short compound. Ironic...
Old 01-07-2010, 04:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

its all on your back.
So I shouldn't take up trad with this in mjy back?
Attached Thumbnails Have you ever considered trad. archery hunting?-264_2006_76_fig2_html.jpg  
Old 01-07-2010, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

Whoah, Charlie, I'll bet you have a helluva time getting through airports
Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have considered it. I believe I would like to take down at least 2-3 more 3.5+ year old bucks with my compound before I start switching over. Since I killed my first "older" buck this year I know that I am not good enough to switch over to a traditional bow just yet.

But I will switch over, I know it. That has been my progression as a hunter...rifles to shotguns to muzzeloaders...then I started hunting half and half guns and bows...then bow only the last 4-5 years. So hunting exclusively with a traditional bow is going to be my natural evolution. I would give myself another 2-3 years probably. Heck I have one hanging in my garage that is beautiful. I just need to practice with it. Maybe if began shooting well with it, then I would gain the confidence that I need to switch over. The method of the hunt is very important to me. I could see myself being very satisfied hunting with a traditional bow.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd like to start shooting traditional in the yard, but I'm not sure about hunting with one. I really like the letoff and range of my compound. Maybe sometime down the road....
Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea, the back. I have had 3 back operations & a fusion but I had them use my own bone from my hip....All lower though.
I always said, if your push with your bow arm & pull back with your other & try to put your shoulder blades together & let your fingers slip off the string your doing it right.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

I've thought about it but a shiny new shoulder joint last year makes it difficult. My compound is only 42# right now. When I first got it it was set at 50# and I couldn't pull it back! I'm hoping as I shoot more I'll be able to handle a higher pull. I may try traditional then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.