Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Have you ever considered trad. archery hunting? >

Have you ever considered trad. archery hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have you ever considered trad. archery hunting?

Old 01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
bigcountry

I tell ya what got me back into it. I pig huntin with wheels. I see the pig, half drew back and that SOB charges. I didn't like the feeling. So I saw a trad hunter firing off shots snap shootin at a boar.

For fast snap shooting action, it beats wheels any day. See the target, draw back, burn a hole in that target starring at it, and let your body take over.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good thread.

I started with trad gear, never killed anything. Went to a compound for many years.
Just a few back decided to come back to the trad thing, but I have not been able to completely put down the compound. I hope to eventually someday, but I think that day may be farther out than I had originally planned. For me the biggest thing is getting and staying proficient enough, for long enough, to have the confidence to hunt that way long term. Right now there are light years between my confidence levels. I need to close that gap.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started bowhunting back in the 70's with a recurve. I believe it was a Bear Kodiak. It was 40lb pull, which was the minimum draw weight in Pa at the time. I never did kill a deer with it. Then, when compounds became legal in Pa I was seduced, and bought a Bear Polar LTD! I've been shooting a compound (not an LTD) ever since.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Kindof a bum right shoulder.....and I am unfortunately right handed. I do shoot a compound without sights, though!

I have a lot of respect for the purists, it really evens the odds IMHO when it comes to bagging game. You have to be good
Old 01-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I do shoot a compound without sights, though!
I shoot trad.....and that (above) would intimidate the heck outta me. That's a lot of negatives......and few advantages (if any).

Respect!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GMMAT
I shoot trad.....and that (above) would intimidate the heck outta me. That's a lot of negatives......and few advantages (if any).

Respect!
I started shooting recurves when I was 5 years old, and switched to the compound when I was about 15. I have always been an instinctive shooter. It's just the way I do it

I have often considered switching to traditional gear, I think I could be very successful; if I hadn't torn up my shoulder about 8 years ago, I probably would have switched over, or at least be using both methods.

Best of Luck,
Jeff

Last edited by elkmtngear; 01-06-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Have you ever considered giving traditional archery a "go"?

If you have....and decided (for whatever reason)....it's just "not for me".....that's a completely valid reason.

But....if you have (considered it), what are some reservations you have that are stopping you?

Just curious.
I'm not sure, what does traditional mean? Wooden arrows, instinctive shooting, stone broadheads...

Until a few days ago I only owned wooden bows, although the one I used the most to hunt with was a wooden compound.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trad = no wheels to most.
Other then the recreationists looking for an era that never exisited.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:53 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by elkmtngear
I started shooting recurves when I was 5 years old, and switched to the compound when I was about 15. I have always been an instinctive shooter. It's just the way I do it

I have often considered switching to traditional gear, I think I could be very successful; if I hadn't torn up my shoulder about 8 years ago, I probably would have switched over, or at least be using both methods.

Best of Luck,
Jeff
You know after I got used to shooting trad, it actually hurts to pull some modern compounds back. Its just different. If you look at the force curve on a compound, you are holding a lot of wieght in the biginning to middle. Where trad it doesn't kick in until the end of the draw and if your doing it right at that point, its all on your back.

Definatly different.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
You know after I got used to shooting trad, it actually hurts to pull some modern compounds back. Its just different. If you look at the force curve on a compound, you are holding a lot of wieght in the biginning to middle. Where trad it doesn't kick in until the end of the draw and if your doing it right at that point, its all on your back.

Definatly different.
My best friend bought a 70 pound recurve a few years back, and he has only used it once on a pheasant hunt as far as I know. I might try winging a few shafts with it next time I'm at his place, to see how it feels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.