Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Mathews...all hype? >

Mathews...all hype?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mathews...all hype?

Old 12-13-2009, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default Mathews...all hype?

I want to start by saying that I just want to have a good old fashioned discussion about this and I don't want anyone to get upset. Maybe I could learn something that I didn't know.

I want to know what all the hype over Mathews bows is all about. I have been shooting a bow for almost 20 years. During the majority of that time I have heard Mathews this and Mathews that. I just don't get it.

Now, I will agree that Mathews has come out with some great technology. They are the inventor of the solo cam. The roller guard is a great idea. Harmonic dampeners...also good. But I think that too much credit is given to this company.

The solo cam was next to perfect when it was introduced in the early 90's. However (and yes I am biased because I shoot one) Darton Archery holds almost all patents that most current cams are produced off of. For example, Hoyt's cam and a half was based off of the CPS system. Today's hybrid cams have been proven to out perform Mathew's solo cam (speed, smoothness, string creep, etc).

Also, why does Mathews advertise that their extras (string dampeners and such) are brand new innovations. Types of harmonic dampeners and string dampeners have been around for years. Now I see that it costs $100 for the new Mathews detachable bow quiver (that seems to be all the rage). It's nothing new and not that special.

To go along with the quiver price, I am not sure that you are not just paying for a name. I think that it is absolutely ridiculous that I would have to pay $800 to $900 for a "base model" bow. I have looked at the specs between my Darton AS300 (and I am mentioning Darton again only because that is what I have handy) compared to several Mathew's bows. The specs are nearly identical but I would have to pay $150 to $200 more for the Mathews. Why is that?

One answer that I came up with was that fact that Mathews must have very high advertising costs. In every hunting Magazine and TV show Mathews is the bow of choice. Same goes with competitive archery. Is it because the bow is that great or is it the endorsement check is that great that all the pro shooters and pro hunters shoot them?

Now, before everyone tells me to go pound sand, or tells me "if you don't like it don't shoot it" let me tell you that I have shot several Mathews bows. I just don't see what the hype is all about. I have shot almost every make of bow that is out there. I have found several that out perform Mathews. I can't be the only one. And yes, I have shot some Mathews bows that I liked...do don't think I am being completely biased against the product.

Lastly I shot the Mathews Reezen 7.0 this last deer season. Not bad, but I didn't think it felt right in my hand. Also, the cams seem to creep forward very easily. The bow belonged to my friend and he agreed with me. You don't hear any of that on the advertisements or in the bow reviews.

Now, like i stated in the beginning I do not intent to degrade the product and/or upset people. Lets have a good discussion about this. I could be wrong with some of my information and if that is the case correct me. Maybe you will make me a believer.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

different bows fro different people, before choosing my mathews i shot multiple different bows and i felt that the DXT shot the best and felt the best for me, so i didn't mind spending $700 on a bare bow.

and personally i've never seen a bare hunting bow that costed $900, it seems like the advertised price and the actual price of most bows are different.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look at Hoyt their new bow is going for $1600!!!!

Alot of people think Hoyt invented the cam & 1/2, but it was Darton who did. I agree Darton seems to come up with alot of stuff, but it seems the other companies have the money to sell it.

Mathews is the bow for me, and I could only answer for myself
Old 12-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's just another bandwagon. I'll take my Hoyt Vectrix XL (I love this bow) with it's stolen cam & 1/2 technology.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

personally, when your talking about $800+ for a bow, they are ALL hype. I personally shoot a Hoyt, because of their proven durability and toughness. I have shot other brands, and if someone offered me a free bow, I'd take it and shoot it. But for my money, I'm going to purchase the most durable bow I can find, and the one that fit me best.

I will admit 10 years or so ago, they were by far the best bow in terms of innovation. I remember shooting one (the q2 maybe)? and was just blown away. But patents expire, competition arises, and the bows of today have more or less evened out between most of the brands.

Last edited by JoshKeller; 12-13-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Darton did not invent all of the cam patents that they hold. Darton likes to get wind of something and apply for accelerated patent due to his age. You think that Darton invented the binary cam? Hell no but they stole the patent and get royalties.

Mathews advertising budget is huge compared to other companies. Instead of paying rep groups to travel the country to take orders and check upon their clients like other companies do, they put that money into advertising in the form of print ads, pro staff, and TV. Basically Mathews is the master at marketing their product and it works wonderfully as evident by this thread.

AS far as $100 quivers etc... Every one has high end accessories.

I will say that Matt McPherson is a heck of a giving guy. Every single penny of profit from the Mission line goes to charity. All of the profit from the Lost camo line goes to charity. He is vastly involved with the NASP program.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
I will say that Matt McPherson is a heck of a giving guy. Every single penny of profit from the Mission line goes to charity. All of the profit from the Lost camo line goes to charity. He is vastly involved with the NASP program.

thats one thing I've admired about matt. I may not shoot his bows, but I respect that each year he give well over $1 million to charities. Not many people will do that unless there is a hidden motive to be had.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

i shot darton for many many years and have to say they where nice bows there new models have old looking tech and not much else going for them now
the new matthews monster has some great tech and style and is a one of there top bows and cost $850 depending where you get it from the hype is there because there good if i believed darton where still making a good bow i would buy one but i dont think they are anymore
and im not a solo cam lover so the monster was a perfect choice for me it had nothing to do with hype or advertising i wrote down all the things i wanted in abow and the monster ticked all boxes
Old 12-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just as a matter of information Mathews did not invent the solo cam. Martin did and it was nearly 40 years ago with the DynaBow. You can check this out at www.archeryhistory.com
Old 12-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Just as a matter of information Mathews did not invent the solo cam. Martin did and it was nearly 40 years ago with the DynaBow. You can check this out at www.archeryhistory.com
Just what I was thinking----looking at my dyna bow right now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.