Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Question about a shot doe...PLEASE HELP! >

Question about a shot doe...PLEASE HELP!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about a shot doe...PLEASE HELP!

Old 11-10-2009, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question about a shot doe...PLEASE HELP!

Well, I shot a doe. She was only about 6 yards from me and I was up about 25 feet. Would have liked to have waited a bit, but she got a clue I was there and raised her front right leg as if to say, "I am about to bolt!" So, I shot. She was quartering to me so I put the arrow just behind her right shoulder and inside her spine by a few inches. Here is my question, as I am not sure what to do...should I grill or fry backstraps tonight?!?

Really not much of a story here...she came in from a direction I did not expect at all, walking straight to me. I expected her to turn along the edge of the field I was hunting on, which would have given me a 15 yard broadside shot. Instead, she waltzed right into the edge of the woods where I had climbed and stopped almost right under me. She was approximately 6 yards away (about 5 yards to my left and 3 in front of me, coming to me from the left if that helps you in visualizing the angle) when I stuck her. The Muzzy (thank you TREX!) totally obliterated her right lung, just clipped the heart, as well as the stomach before exiting her belly. Ran about 60 yards through some thick, nasty stuff and crumpled! My first deer with a bow! This happened this past Friday evening at about 10 til 5...sorry I haven't posted sooner, but had to get the pics on the computer first. Forgot to get my bow in the pictures with it...hopefully this doesn't put a strike on the man card...it will not happen again! At least it wasn't a buck, nullifying my entry for the team!

So back to my question...grilled of fried? I am leaning toward grilled as of now.
Attached Thumbnails Question about a shot doe...PLEASE HELP!-11-6doe.jpg   Question about a shot doe...PLEASE HELP!-11-6doe2.jpg   Question about a shot doe...PLEASE HELP!-11-6doe3.jpg   Question about a shot doe...PLEASE HELP!-11-6doe4.jpg  
Old 11-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Spike

I would have to go with grilling it.. Congrats by the way as well..
Old 11-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go Bible Man! After eating those tenderloins last night, I second the vote for grilling!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, there are two back straps on her, so fry one, grill one. Then I will come over and eat them both and let you know which I liked better.

Congrats on your first bow kill, your are hooked for life now!!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

2 words for ya bud!! Goerge Forman!!!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Clean off all the silver skin and white fat. lightly dust in Lawry's salt and cook on the grill to rare. Make sure the grill (not the grate or the meat will stick) is preheated.
Did you save the heart?

Congratulations on the first deer.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

congrats on the doe!!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by twildasin
2 words for ya bud!! Goerge Forman!!!!!
Definitely works for me! Brush with olive oil, season, and sear! Wrap with bacon if you want something extra tasty! Ok, getting myself hungry now...
Old 11-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

WTG!!! defiantly grill. Marinade or inject them, med/well for me please lol... Congrats to you.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Grilled was the final decision. Quite delicious. Got another doe today with my muzzleloader. Good thing that they are starting to fall...my freezer has been empty of deer meet since April. Only killed 2 last year, which is simply not enough. Extending the season this year with a bow not only gives me more opportunity to take game, but is more fun and extends the fun! What a win, win!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.