Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
WI Bow Season Rant! >

WI Bow Season Rant!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WI Bow Season Rant!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by W9ARcher
I hunt just north of Chippewa County and the wolves are moving south out of the Blue Hills. Should be in Chippewa County in the next couple of years and we won't have to worry about Zone 23 being Herd Control any more.

Unless we take matters into our own hands and stop the expansion
The problem with the wolves isn't that they are alive, its that we cannot do anything about them without going to prison, since they are worth so much more that we are.

My area used to be EAB, that was the biggest damb mistake the WI_DNR could have made. The 16 day season is not another of those in my estimation (Being from Minnesota, and used to it), it gives Rifle hunter another two days (effectively) to hunt, as most cannot hunt during the week days.
Besides that, when you include the (sometimes) Oct. T-Zone and the Dec. T-zone, we have a 16 day season already.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by UPHunter08
I'm going to have call 'BS' on this one. Unless you own thousands of acres or a game farm, most landowners have very little control individually over the deer herd in their area. Contrary to what some people seem to believe, deer aren't restricted to your 40-acre parcel. That 1 1/2 year old buck that you let pass may get taken out by the hunter on the property 1/2 mile away.

It falls upon the game management agency, the WI-DNR in this case, to formulate a policy that meets the needs of most of their constituents. This means enacting policies that result in deer numbers and doe-to-buck ratios in line with their goals. In my experience, the MI-DNR totally f**ked this up in the Upper Peninsula. In reaction to low deer numbers, they virtually eliminated doe permits in most areas of the western UP, and the long term result is a ratio of 5:1 or even 10:1 (in my personal experience).

Unfortunately, WI seems to be going down a similar road. The ratio is much better here, but overall numbers seem to be much lower. To make matters worse, there seems to be very little restrictions on allowing large landowners to fence in huge areas to create game farms. That just takes valuable habitat out of production to the average citizen...I'd be incredibly irate if I bought 80 acres, only to have the adjacent 1,500 acres fenced off (as has happened here recently). It's pretty sad when I look forward to hunting the poor deer herd in the UP because I see more deer there than in WI...although there are far fewer big bucks up there, at least I regularly see a lot of deer!

It's all part of the same problem IMO: terrible management on the part of the WI-DNR. If I did my job the way they're doing theirs, I'd have been fired already. The problem we have as sportsmen, is that the gov't bureaucrats in the DNR are not responsible to the average citizen; they only listen to the politicians and special interests (e.g. agriculture lobby).
UP guy, I am fully aware of deer movement, as are 95% of my neighbors. About 6 years ago I started getting all of us land owners in 3/4 mile radius around me together and we came up with a management plan that works for everyone involved. It works and it works well for us. There is probably close to 3000 acres in this management plan between all of us. So don't say BS to something until you know the facts.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Some are blaming the warm weather and full moon, clear nights...