Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
WI Bow Season Rant! >

WI Bow Season Rant!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WI Bow Season Rant!

Old 11-04-2009, 03:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Angry WI Bow Season Rant!

Well im not sure what the hell is going on, but the DNR has something to do with it im sure. Ive been hunting solidly since opening day of bow season in Sept and have seen very few deer. Once in a while Ill see one or two but thats it. I have close to 300 acres of property to hunt all to myself this bow season since my brother and cousin arent able to bowhunt this year because they are working too damned much. Theres very little sign of any deer period. I was pretty much covered in them the last couple years all bow season long and was covered the first few weeks of bow season this year and all of a sudden they disapeared. Its like they left the property. Now granted, we do have cornfields on our property but the deer arent hitting the corn and they arent laying in it either, hell there are very few tracks in the mud. Im ready to quit hunting all together. Now the DNR says theres a deer behnd every tree so they are proposing an extra week of gun hunting next year. Complete BS! Since the DNR has opened all these new seasons and zones the deer herd in WI has dropped to the lowest its been. Mission accomplished! Ive also talked to close to 50 other hunters in other parts of the state that are saying the same thing. THERE ARE NO DEER! This just makes me sick. Hunting is supposed to be fun, but now its turned more into work than fun. The DNR have to get their heads out of eachothers @sses and get back to reality. Listen to the hunters that are out there every day busting butt to put food on the table. The bucks should be moving, the does should be coming into heat real soon, and I have yet to see any sign of any rut, other than hearing a couple bucks fight last night on neighboring property. I honestly dont think taking the corn off around our area will help. We have soybeans across the road from our property and havent seen a single deer in the beans for atleast 1 month or better. I know the low deer sightings isnt because of too much preasure because there is none on our property. Im the only one hunting. I have 6 stands and have hunted 5 of them all season and seen very very very few deer. Now someone tell me whats going on. All my stands are strategically placed in areas where the deer movement has always been the greatest, and NOTHING!! Im blaming this on the DNR! if this continues I will not be buying another license until things change. I will lock up our property so damned tight a damend helicopter wouldnt be able to land on it. Ok im done now.....thanks for letting me bitch and complain...
Old 11-04-2009, 03:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

For some reasons we hunters have been restricted and the reason was for the good of all, then as if by turning on a light switch the herd is claimed to be to large for the habitat and teetering on the brink of causing some kind of drastic extinction.

Doesn't help that we hunters express just how much we love what we do to people who are on the receiving end of what they want to sell it for.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:00 AM
Fork Horn

I agree. This is the worst year for seeing deer I've had in the last 5. I've hunted 4 different properties in NE WI with the same result. 2 were big woods, 1 was a mix of woods and plots and the last was fields. My trail cams aren't taking as many pictures. I used to see 2-4 does together. This year it was mostly singles. If they keep lowering the herd there is no way you are going to get a 12 year old kid interested if they never see a deer after freezing their butt off in the woods for a couple of days. He or she will stay home and play Wii instead.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:15 AM
Spike

Either you Wisconsin guys can complain and get nowhere or you could get together and start do something about that. I have been reading it over and over in different post. I haven't seen much in Iowa but there is quite a bit of corn in.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:08 AM
Typical Buck

Shame to hear that I have seen a few deer more deer then I have ever seen actualy here in Illinois,but the dnr also claims that we are over populated here I dont buy it I herd from a couple differnt people that it was because the insurance companies pay them big money to claim that the deer population is outta control when in reality its not the deer herd its the number of cars driving the roads that is out of control.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

I'm right across the border of NE Wisconsin in Upper Michigan. I agree, this is the worst season I can remember. I have over twenty days on stand since Oct 1st and have hardly seen any deer. Years before I seen deer every sit. This is hunting several different spots across a 50 mile radius. Either the wolves have eaten too many deer sandwiches or last winter wiped out the deer herd. I'm frustrated beyond belief!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Spike

Im seeing close to 10 deer everytime i go out s until this happens to me im happy. ITs all about foodplots and bedding areas and only hunting when wind is correct
Old 11-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by superstockbigblock
Either you Wisconsin guys can complain and get nowhere or you could get together and start do something about that. I have been reading it over and over in different post. I haven't seen much in Iowa but there is quite a bit of corn in.
trust me... we have been doing a lot.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

I think we need to wait until a lot of this grain corn comes off as well.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Spike

I hunt Boone County in Illinois and it is the same way here. But, I know what is killing them off....SHARP SHOOTERS!!! To the Illinois DNR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.