Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Pass those smaller bucks. >

Pass those smaller bucks.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pass those smaller bucks.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

This is the 5th year of the 4 point or better law in missouri. Any legal buck must have 4 points on one side at least 1 inch long. I LOVE it as we are seeing more big bucks. On the other hand it is a personal decision. I have taken spikes and buttons for the freezer in the past and will not appoligize for that. Each to thier own and happy hunting.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

DeerandbearhoG,

How easy Is It to take a mature buck (4.5 year old) year In and year out?
Old 10-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Schultzy
DeerandbearhoG,

Pardon? Im not sure what youre getting at nor am I sure why you directed that at me. I surly dont have that knida luck nor would I suggest killing mature bucks is easy.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Schultzy
DeerandbearhoG,

QDM or not, that is not an easy task unless you are a professional hunter and do it for a living. Even some of those guys eat their buck tags every so often.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ManofTheFall
QDM or not, that is not an easy task unless you are a professional hunter and do it for a living. Even some of those guys eat their buck tags every so often.
As I said, I've done my share of passing on small bucks since I started bowhunting, but I have no idea what a 4.5 year old buck looks like in real life. Maybe I will someday (and I'll probably need a change of underwear when it happens).

I hope you and your son understand that I don't disagree with what your saying. I don't consider msyelf a person who pratices QDM, and there are a few that do practice QDM that I'd love to kick in the groin sometimes because of their attitudes. My hunting philosophy isn't "if it's brown it's down" either, though. We'll just say that I'm somewhere in the middle, and I'll congratulate the taker of any deer on either end of the spectrum and those congratulations will be heartfelt and sincere.

I'll end by saying that I respect what you and your son are doing and what you have accomplished. I wish you both the best of luck.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by The Deer Destroyer
I have been passing on smaller bucks for the past 5 years. I have taken some nice bucks, the nicest was about 120 class typical. The past 2 years I have been passin on 120 class bucks. Last year I passed on a nice typical 10 point that prolly went 120s, and I had him at about 12-15 yards and had my sights on him, but then said no; got to pass on those bucks so they get a little bigger.
This year, my dad and I have seen some very nice bucks. 2 of the bucks we saw were the biggest bucks we've seen so far this season. One was a typical and the other was a non-typical, and they both were 180s if not 170s. Along with those bucks we have seen at least 6 bucks that go 130-160. Also, we have some nice 120 class bucks that we're hoping make it to next year, so they can be 130s-140s. So, if you can start passing on those small bucks, you'll see a great increase in the number of bigger bucks that you'll see.
When my dad and I weren't passing on smaller bucks, we would see a biug buck here and there. Now we see them alot more. This will work for you if you start passing on those smaller bucks, and eventually you'll be rewarded with a very nice buck; and probably the biggest buck you've taken and possibly be a record buck.
With the rut right around the corner, you'll see lots of small bucks chasing does and coming to your calls. Let them walk, and in 2 years they'll be a 130 or bigger. I've had 14 bucks I could have shot this year, but I tell myself in a couple of years, they'll be shooters. The moire smaller bucks you let go, the more bigger bucks you'll have where you hunt. So guys, pass them smaller bucks, and let them turn into big bucks!
My B.S. meter spiked right here.

Just how many hundred have you spotted that were just out of range.

And I would be sure and shut that G.P.S. tracker off on your cell phone, cause your gonna have some unwanted company real soon.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hope you and your son understand that I don't disagree with what your saying. My hunting philosophy isn't "if it's brown it's down" either, though. We'll just say that I'm somewhere in the middle, and I'll congratulate the taker of any deer on either end of the spectrum and those congratulations will be heartfelt and sincere. I'll end by saying that I respect what you and your son are doing and what you have accomplished. I wish you both the best of luck.
There ya go Chief, well said.

I don't consider msyelf a person who pratices QDM, and there are a few that do practice QDM that I'd love to kick in the groin sometimes because of their attitudes.
As would I Chief, some are real pricks! Ever heard the saying on here "wall of shame"? That's 100% BS and wrong!! The OP In no way was being an ass or telling people what to do, though some who practice QDM can be a real ass with their comments!!
Old 10-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

I'm in NY where guys all around me shoot whatever they see and it really doesn't bother me because it's their tag, they can do what they want with it. We know two farmers in our area and they let us hunt their land exclusively if we post it and keep the orange army at bay. We are trying to let the smaller ones live because the 4 of us who hunt it have been hunting for 20+ years and we use our doe tags to fill the freezer. We don't consider ourselves better than anyone else and we understand how fortunate we are to have some land to experiment with. Two of us already have does in the freezer and I passed on spikey and his brother this morning although I almost shot his brother because he kept coming in when we rattled. Shoot what make you happy, you paid for the tag and invest the time in the woods, if you want to take spikey then I say drill him.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bawanajim
My B.S. meter spiked right here.

Just how many hundred have you spotted that were just out of range.

And I would be sure and shut that G.P.S. tracker off on your cell phone, cause your gonna have some unwanted company real soon.
You don't hunt where I do so you wouldn't know. Both my dad and I have both passed about the same number of bucks. We have one of the best spots to hunt in T-county Ohio. The most bucks I passed this year in one sit was 6. All 1.5-2.5 yr olds. Like I have said before don't believe me. Even tho I have posted pics of some bucks on here that score b/t 130-180, don't believe me. You'll be the one reaping when I post my pic on here with the 180 class typical buck we got walking around our area. But like I said don't believe me. Most people didn't believe those guys when they said they had a potential world record buck walking around their area either and look what happened. It seems like all the guys that shoot little bucks are getting mad on here when I was posting this to the guys that want to and wanted a lil info. cuz they want to start it. Keep shooting your lil 80-100 class deer and be happy with that. I'll keep shooting bucks b/t 130-180 every year and I'll be happy with that, cuz My dad and I have been practicing QDM now for 6 years.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just in case your ever hunting in my area, read the first line in my signature. Thanks for the bucks