Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Processing Deer Question??? >

Processing Deer Question???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Processing Deer Question???

Old 10-30-2009, 03:16 AM
Spike

According to an article written in December's issue of Bowhunter by Master Chef Milos Cihelka, you should age a deer up to 2 weeks.

"To cool a deer in warm weather, you may place bags of ice in the body cavity, but do not let the ice or run-off water contact the meat".

"In warm weather, the carcass will attract a lot of flies. An application of "hot oil" will help. To make hot oil, put two cups of vegetable oil into a saucepan on the stove. Add a handful of crushed red pepper. When it begins to sizzle, remove it from the stove to cool, and then store it in a jar".

"To use the hot oil, make sure the deer cavity is dry; otherwise, wipe it dry with paper towels. Spill a little oil on the palm of your hand and smear it over all exposed flesh, including the nose, mouth, vent, and shot holes. Do NOT coat the pelt. The oil will not affect the taste of the venison".

He further states that "Deer and other game, if frozen fresh, will be tough and strong-tasting. The rigor mortis needs to relax. During aging, the enzymes naturally present in all meat gradually breaks down fibers. As in wine, which is not fit to drink when first made, aging also mellows the flavor of game".

"The optimum temperature for aging is 38-40o F. Higher temperature speeds up aging; lower temperature slows it down. Without refrigeration, deer harvested in early bow season are often difficult to keep safely much longer than 3 weeks. On the other hand, we may have a problem keeping a deer shot in December from freezing".

"I age my deer in the garage. It is important to have some ventilation. Hang the deer head down, placing a stack of newspapers under it to collect drainage. Put a stick in the body cavity to keep it open. Note: Check the cavity every day or two to make sure it remains dry. If any slime develops, wipe it off with a towel soaked in vinegar. It should dry again in one day".

"If the daytime temperature rises to 50o F, or drops at night to 28o F, there is nothing to be concerned about. However, if it gets over 50 or below 28, then we have to make some changes. If you see fly eggs on the carcass (in moist places such as the neck opening), you will have to skin and butcher the deer soon. In freezing weather, I have placed a small electric heater close to the deer and wrapped a tarp around it to make a kind of tent".

"During the firearms season, when there is no more problem with flies, I hang a young deer for 3 to 4 weeks. During the second week, small white specks of mold will appear on the exposed surfaces. This is a natural occurence and nothing to be concerned with, as long as the surface stays dry to the touch".
Old 10-30-2009, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

Good post!
Old 10-30-2009, 07:16 AM
Dominant Buck

I age all my deer for at least a week. If it has been on ice, chop a way. If the meat is a real green color and smells. Throw it out. Dont let me mislead you, aged meat will have a slight green tint to it, that is no problem. Its only bad when it is a deep greenish gray and has a noticable stink.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Everyone!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:49 AM
Spike

When you don't have time to take care of them, let them hang over night if you shoot at night, then the next day in the morning, or after work, skin and quarter and get them in the freezer. When you get time take out and thaw. If that means in the middle of winter when hunting is over so be it. You can take 1 quarter out a week and cut up. Do it on the weekends. Would be a shame to take a life and not use it.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Skeeder1964
When you don't have time to take care of them, let them hang over night if you shoot at night, then the next day in the morning, or after work, skin and quarter and get them in the freezer. When you get time take out and thaw. If that means in the middle of winter when hunting is over so be it. You can take 1 quarter out a week and cut up. Do it on the weekends. Would be a shame to take a life and not use it.
That is good advice but wanted to add to it. Be very careful and make sure the meat is completely thawed. Im missing a knuckle from cutting frozen meat.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JoshKeller
In the early season, I skin, quarter and keep my deer in the fridge for 2 weeks before processing.
Smart guy here, I tell people that we let our deer hang two weeks and they look at me like im nutz. Worst tasting deer meat ive ever had was at my buddies house last week and it was one that he butchered and froze the day he got it.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

To say you dont have time is a poor excuse I cant count the number of nights I have found myself butchering a deer well past midnight it takes 2 or 3 hours to butcher and package a deer,9 days in a cooler that is pretty sad,I know a guy that has a deer hanging right now been hanging for 3 days in 60 degree heat he thinks ice in the chest is going to keep from rotting I felt the legs they was **** warm talk about nasty.Have you have considerd taking to a meat locker?