Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Processing Deer Question??? >

Processing Deer Question???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Processing Deer Question???

Old 10-29-2009, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Question Processing Deer Question???

I shot a Nice deer On Monday, of Last week. My deer has been chopped up laying in the cooler on ice since then. It has been 9 Days So Im hoping its not gon bad yet. Some guys say only leave on ice 5 Days, can anyone help me out. I dont want to throw the meat out, but Also dont wanna get my Family Sick.
Thanks, Danny
Old 10-29-2009, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it's gone bad you will be able to smell it. As long as it's been kept cool, actually on ice and not sitting in luke warm melted ice water, it should be fine.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

If there's no smell and it has been on ice and drained often I don't think there's much worry! Aged meat was on verge of decomp and then scraped clean before butchering so yours if there's no signs of decomp(smell) you should be good.Longest I have ever kept mine was a week on ice or cooler.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

I drained it twice. Couldn't really get to it quick because of work! It has a light smell to it but not really to bad. IDK
Old 10-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the early season, I skin, quarter and keep my deer in the fridge for 2 weeks before processing.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

i think it sux...take the time to do all the huntin stuff and dont take care of the #1 reason!!!!
Old 10-29-2009, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Up here in michigan, when the temp starts to drop with highs topping off at 35-40 degrees I have let my deer hang in the pullbarn for a little over a week.. My dad has always told me that they taste better when they hang for a while... This all depends on the temp. I think you will be alright.. check for the smell as everyone has said and check out the meat to make sure their is no discoloring.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
i think it sux...take the time to do all the huntin stuff and dont take care of the #1 reason!!!!
Good point!! I like to let them hang but if the temp doesn't allow for that to happen I skin, quarter, and finish cutting sometimes in the same night.. You should always allow the respect for the animal that you kill!! if you do not have time to take it of it properly then don't shoot one....
Old 10-29-2009, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

YOU RIGHT! YOU RIGHT!! Trus me ol' buddy we gon make good use of em'
Old 10-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

good to hear!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.