Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Momma Doe Busted Me >

Momma Doe Busted Me

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Momma Doe Busted Me

Old 10-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Spike

Default Momma Doe Busted Me

Had Monday off work here in southern WV (Bow-Only County) so I decided to hunt all day. Sat from daylight until dark. At around 6:15pm had a nice sized year a half old doe wonder in to get a sip from the creek I sit over. She stood directly below me at 12 yards looking the opposite direction. I slowly drew back and lowered that top pin right behind her front shoulder. I thought to myself "she has no clue your here, just relax don't rush and make a good clean shot." After I got the pin settled i pressed my index finger onto the release trigger and counted one, two... and then I heard the biggest freakin (whhhhewwwww) you could possibly hear! Momma doe was standing 65 yards at the edge of the field right behind me! All I could see was her neck and up as she was looking over a small mound at the field edge. The first doe bolted of course before I could get the shot off. I never knew she was there.

That had to be the most dishearting feeling I've ever had. Do you think I should consider moving my stand to another location now?
Old 10-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

I might give it a few days rest. I had the same problem tonight. If you read my post just a few down from yours you'll see more about it, But 3 Busted me about a hour ago. Dang!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just give that stand a good 3-4 days before hunting it again, thats what I do.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its amazing how loud thoes does can blow. They sound like the brakes on a big rig.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Dont worry I get blowed alot, No matter what you bathe in or scent lock I got the scent lock suite all that crap. I get winded once a week and I hunt every morning. Usually get winded in deeep woods.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Been there, done that

I had a smart doe bust me three days in a row, and each time I moved my stand a little ways from where I was. Finally, after the third day, I moved to where I'd seen her enter the area and went 30 feet up and got her. If you've been spotted, I'd suggest that you move. If she's a smart old nanny, she'll look for you there from now on. You know where she's coming from - cut her off and take her out. Just remember to get downwind of where she's traveling.

Last edited by LittleChief; 10-28-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

I had this happen to me as well... I was going to actually take the momma doe to a button buck, and he looked up at me when I was going to take her, even after standing in front of me for 25 minutes before she showed up. The next day and the day after that was the opposite, she busted me and he never even looked up. It happens to the best of us, you just cant out smart some deer.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tell ya what them big nannies look around more than a buck does! A big doe never seems secure where if a buck is there he is secure! I'm always on pins and needles when doe are around you got to be wise! I would move and take her out
Old 10-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with you twildasin
Old 10-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Spike

I had one blow at me, come back five minutes later and blow again, come back five minutes later and blew a third time. Never had that happen before.