Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
When to start calling and rattling? >

When to start calling and rattling?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When to start calling and rattling?

Old 10-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default When to start calling and rattling?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but when should I start calling and rattling? How long before the actual rut do deer start fighting and figuring out dominance and all that? Or is it actually in the rut?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

a good question...it depends on a number of things

i like to start early in PA with some soft tickling of antlers, followed by a few doe grunts, even fawn bleats sometimes

during the chasing phase of our rut, or during the pre-rut to be more exact, i get into the buck grunts, doe can calls, some more rattling

when the actual rut is on, breeding taking place, i often lay off of the rattle bag and go with estrus bleats, young buck grunts...which really tick off the big bucks thinking they are missing out on something good

but hell, you never know, sometimes calling will bring a buck to you that you had no idea was 40 yards away from you, soft and easy in the early part of my archery season, hot and heavy in the middle/end when the rut kicks in

either way, good luck man!!!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

When is the pre-rut? How long before the actual rut do you start doing this? Never bowhunted before but from what I understand the first week or so in November is typically the rut, should I start calling and rattling this weekend or just the week prior to the rut?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive been seeing deer pushing each other around for 2 weeks now. My trail camera pictures have bucks every night tickling the horns. Nothing serious but they are definately getting frisky, testosterone is building up!! I also have heard bucks grunting already and weve heard some light rattling in the field, again, not because the rut is here, but deer are vocal, and its probably just a dominance thing or something. But, I would say it cant hurt to do some light rattling in the next week. Deer are also curious animals, so maybe it could generate enough curiousity to come and see whos playing in the neighborhood.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by natimage
When is the pre-rut? How long before the actual rut do you start doing this? Never bowhunted before but from what I understand the first week or so in November is typically the rut, should I start calling and rattling this weekend or just the week prior to the rut?
In Iowa I consider the pre rut to be middle of October and full rut rite around tthe first week of November. Everybody will say different but thats just what Ive see over the last four years. I see you live in the midwest also this cold weather is really getting them excited. Here in iowa on the river is gonna be High of 38 sunday morning! cant wait...it's temperatures like this that really get them moving, compared too last season the rut will start earlier with this weather. I hit a nice 8 pt monday nite that I couldnt find, and before he came in two little bucks that were out in front of me ran of a few minutes before he came in. The does stayed this buck was more concentrated on the smaller bucks. Also seen a smaller buck pissing on a scrape......As far as rattling/grunting im gonna wait another week and then start soft. Just watch the deers body language when u see them and act upon it in the next few weeks...jmo IA
Old 10-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

The timing of the rut and its different phase differs every year. That said the last week to ten days of october and the first week of Nov. would be the time you are looking for. The oct. time period you should see increasing in scraping and bucks cruising and checkin scrapes for the first estrous does. GREAT time to rattle and grunt. As Nov. rolls in this behavior will be followed by heavy seeking and chasing. Also a good time to call but imo not as good as the days prior. I usually wait to do my calling until i see a buck during this period. Chances are then he will come investigate-make sure the buck hears you!!! If the buck doesnt look or react he probably didnt hear you-call louder. When he does react wait for him to make his move and then decide if another call is needed or not. If hes coming lay off the call so he doesnt pinpoint you. If he looks and then starts to move on or goes back to whatever he was doin call again and make him react. A few times of this might just agrivate him to come over and check it out. I NEVER call when the buck is looking in my direction.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'll call whitetails from day one right through to the end of the season. It's just knowing how to call and what to call when. I refer to it as taking the deer's temperature. (we use that in turkey talk too).

Rattling, well I'll start in maybe 2 weeks, 3 hours, 10 minutes. I'm not a fan of rattling, tickling except for a last resort when a deer won't come to my calls.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

Here is a chart that may be useful.
http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...ting/index.cfm

However, there are certain situations where you shouldn't and should call.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sportsman22
Here is a chart that may be useful.
http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...ting/index.cfm
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Interesting site. Gives a good guide for most calls. Thanks for the link!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

The earliest I have seen a doe in heat was Oct. 27th. I think peak breeding is 9th - 11th of Nov. If I called before the last of Oct I would call very soft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.