HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - When to start calling and rattling?
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 07:16 AM
IOWAWHITETAILS
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by natimage
When is the pre-rut? How long before the actual rut do you start doing this? Never bowhunted before but from what I understand the first week or so in November is typically the rut, should I start calling and rattling this weekend or just the week prior to the rut?
In Iowa I consider the pre rut to be middle of October and full rut rite around tthe first week of November. Everybody will say different but thats just what Ive see over the last four years. I see you live in the midwest also this cold weather is really getting them excited. Here in iowa on the river is gonna be High of 38 sunday morning! cant wait...it's temperatures like this that really get them moving, compared too last season the rut will start earlier with this weather. I hit a nice 8 pt monday nite that I couldnt find, and before he came in two little bucks that were out in front of me ran of a few minutes before he came in. The does stayed this buck was more concentrated on the smaller bucks. Also seen a smaller buck pissing on a scrape......As far as rattling/grunting im gonna wait another week and then start soft. Just watch the deers body language when u see them and act upon it in the next few weeks...jmo IA