HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - When to start calling and rattling?
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 07:28 AM
rh160kid
Typical Buck

The timing of the rut and its different phase differs every year. That said the last week to ten days of october and the first week of Nov. would be the time you are looking for. The oct. time period you should see increasing in scraping and bucks cruising and checkin scrapes for the first estrous does. GREAT time to rattle and grunt. As Nov. rolls in this behavior will be followed by heavy seeking and chasing. Also a good time to call but imo not as good as the days prior. I usually wait to do my calling until i see a buck during this period. Chances are then he will come investigate-make sure the buck hears you!!! If the buck doesnt look or react he probably didnt hear you-call louder. When he does react wait for him to make his move and then decide if another call is needed or not. If hes coming lay off the call so he doesnt pinpoint you. If he looks and then starts to move on or goes back to whatever he was doin call again and make him react. A few times of this might just agrivate him to come over and check it out. I NEVER call when the buck is looking in my direction.