Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
VA- VDGIF official regulation #3 >

VA- VDGIF official regulation #3

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

VA- VDGIF official regulation #3

Old 10-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default VA- VDGIF official regulation #3

Unlawful to use dogs when hunting any species with archery tackle during any archery season.

I had an awesome afternoon hunt. Knew what was where, and sat in stand from 2:00 to 7:00pm waiting for it all to come together. I had a 3x3, two 4 pts, and 5 does all meandering in a thicket eating acorns, all withing shooting distance, However...my 4x4 has shown up every week day this week at a semi regular time, so I watched and waited.
With 45 minutes left in the hunt, and before my objective had shown his face, 5 beagles, radio collars and all invaded the party...basically wasting my opening day. I could of had any of them but waited as long as I could....oh well, right?
My only shot was at the 3x3 on the run and completely missed, resulting in having to cutt my muzzy out of a log.
Something has to be done. If I was someone else (like a few people I know) there wouldnt be one standing beagle in that pen the next morning. It all stems from jealousy since I got the lease and he has been "using it" like it was his own until I came along. It was definately spiteful, but what is an ethical hunter and member of the community to do, how much do I have to endure?
At a Christmas party this past year, my buddy who joined his bordering land to mine to make one was savagely beaten...broken nose or something to that affect, but I do know his eye was swollen shut, all because we do the right thing and call the warden. He cites them for failure to attach rabies tag, using dogs during archery, and just for being a shmuck!
What else is a nice person who plays by the rules supposed to do? I have a feeling something bad is coming of it! All I want to do is hunt on my property and follow the rules!
I called the warden, unfortunately got voicemail office was closed and to call back during normal hours! Can you believe that! Any wardens in the Hanover, Goochland, Louisa that I can talk with? PM me if you can!:ran t:
Old 10-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your interested, send me a pm and I'll tell you a few ways to make that guy wish he were never born.

Ryan.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:54 AM
Typical Buck

Report him to the VDGIF. They'll be in contact with him, most likely through the game warden. More bad publicicy for hound hunting is the last thing they want.

mailto:[email protected]
Old 10-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

Call until you get someone on the phone! Program the 1- 800 237 5712 game crime line number in your cell. Everyone knows the dogs will be gone by the time someone response but thats not your problem it;s the VDGIF's problem. When they get tired of having to respond maybe they will do something about it. Had the same thing happen to me one opening day, sucks... There's no excuse....

Last edited by buckwild41; 10-04-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Tough situation HV. I know we would all like to just "beat the s---!! out of the SOB but that approach usually doesn't work in the long run. Maybe try the diplomatic approach and try talking to this guy and explain the situation to him. Would you be willing to rabbit hunt with him after the season on your lease? If that doesn't work then your only option will be to get the warden involved but at least you will have tried which will go a long ways in the warden's and possibly the court's eyes. Like I said before it's a tough situation.

Dan
Old 10-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mfd1027
Tough situation HV. I know we would all like to just "beat the s---!! out of the SOB but that approach usually doesn't work in the long run. Maybe try the diplomatic approach and try talking to this guy and explain the situation to him. Would you be willing to rabbit hunt with him after the season on your lease? If that doesn't work then your only option will be to get the warden involved but at least you will have tried which will go a long ways in the warden's and possibly the court's eyes. Like I said before it's a tough situation.

Dan
If I went rabbit hunting with him after what he did to my friend (fractured cheek bone and threats to his and his families life) only one of us would return from that hunt! I wrote into the VDGIF regulations management line that I got off of website and will be going to speak to the father of the hoodlums (with backup) after I speak live to a representative from VA's game warden to give me ideas. I figured he may be in jeapardy of losing that landlocked piece if I can get to the owner of that piece and document by trail cam pics, etc. Anything I can do I will, and hopefully come out ahead. WE do it all by the books and the warden knows that, Im sure with kids like that they will be known to law enforcement and we will have a leg to stand on. Im just upset that my weeklong strategy was about 5 minutes from being completed, until the inevitable.

I will get over it, but the next time I dont know if I can be this mellow. I will go over in my camo and probably get some non-deer blood on my favorite camo!
Old 10-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dang Jeff, that stinks. My brother used to have about 50 acres in Spotsylvania County. I could only hunt it on Saturdays, but had to quit because so many beagles with radio collars would absolutely ruin my hunts. They cost me several deer.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never actually had an "incident" with these hunting dogs. The only time I had a problem was when I was in Floyd last year, but they actually ran a doe to me. So I guess it worked out fine.

But I have a many friends where they are overrun with hunting dogs, and they are constantly ruining their hunts.

I agree with everyone else. Keep reporting him. They will look into it eventually
Old 10-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

"with archery tackle". I doubt the owners were using any archery gear.

Sucks!

There is no law against fencing in the property. As it stands it's not the animals owners responsibility to keep animals of another's property, it's the property owners responsibility to keep any unwanted animal out by erecting a fence. You can collect on any damage to your fence or property if it gets destroyed. This is changing as it is an old law that had some weight when herds roamed free. Still does out west. Things are in the works to hold the animal owners responsible here in Oh.

Got a neighbor who's about to get a very ugly fence since he can't stay off mine. Requires a surveyor first to set the lines and a zoning permit if needed. After that there's no need to call a GW, straight to law enforcement and there always open. Since it is being done per their advice things should go smoothly once it's all settled.

Been looking into it and this is what I've learned. I'm sure it's a lot muddier.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

Do you really believe it is the responibility of the land owner to keep people and animals from entering "his" property without permission. So if you leave your door un0locked to your house I can help myself to a beer and the remote???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.