Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scent question

Old 10-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default scent question

Let's say you just washed something in scent free detergent. Then, using a metal tongs (scent free) hung it out on the line to dry. If you were to accidentally touch this article of clothing with your hand, how long would it take for the human scent to dissipate? An hour? A week? A month? I mean, the scent can't stay attached to the clothes forever, can it? For hypothetical purposes, let's say the clothing has to remain out on the line until the human scent leaves. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:18 AM
Spike

well what i would do is wait til they dry then just take them and put them in a plastic tub with sent waffers to get the sent deep in em. You will hear everyone say you will never be Sent FREE and i do believe that is true but your eventually going to touch your clothes. I have read some articles about hanging out your dirty clothes near your hunting area several times a year so that the deer get used to your sent and arent as weary of it. so much different stuff but i would say that if you touched them i dont think you have much to worry about it too much
Old 10-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, I understand that, but I guess what I'm asking is how long does human scent stay on something that is otherwise scent free?
Old 10-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont guess it really matters because when you're going to be putting a human in them anyway.....So even if they are totally scent free when you put them on, they will have human scent on them the second you put them on.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wash your hands and then touch the clothes. If I don't wash them I at least spray them with a scent killer that sits next to the washer.

All my clothes go into there own zip bag, not a big deal at all. I then put like garments into a larger bag. When I want to hunt I paw through the stuff looking for the right ones for that day, nothing is ever touched until I'm ready to dress. Really isn't any hassle. I put the used bags in a bag and when I wash the clothes again I just bring the bag into where the dry clothes are and as I take them out, put them in a bag ready to be pawed through again. I can dump the whole mess on the ground and pick whatever whenever and nothing gets touched by anything. Great when traveling as you never know where your going to stay.