Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Why oh why do I ground hunt? >

Why oh why do I ground hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why oh why do I ground hunt?

Old 10-03-2009, 07:07 AM
bigcountry

Default Why oh why do I ground hunt?

Today was the last time I ground hunt with a bow. I ground hunted because I was using a 66" longbow and figured I would use some cover I put together. Range on the longbow is 18 yards give or take how I feel.

Saw 10 deer today. None of them were alerted to me and all was 35 yards down from me with wind to my face. Then comes a bachler herd. Ok basket 8 in front of me.

Its funny, you think you are well hidden, and then he comes within 30 yards. All the sudden you feel naked as a jaybird. I figure I am going to stick him. He tears up some branches for a few min and then looks over at me. Comes right for me. 28 yards, and now he's starring at me. He decided after 10 min, thats enough of me.

Does anyone have luck ground hunting? I never have. I bet I have only killed 4-5 deer from the ground in my life. And all were in a hurry going somewhere to notice me.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Spike

Never killed one but i will tell you that i have had two deer within 15 yards and i missed em both. I always liked hunting from the ground and this year i did set up two stands and getting a third but i also made a gilly suit out of some small mesh net and a roll of twine string!! i havent got to try it yet but i am pumped to try it.! when i hunt on the ground i have cover up to my chest when i kneel down and kick all of the leaves and stuff that are on the ground to the side so i am just on the dirt in case i need to turn! these are all good ideas but you do need to work a lot harder at your sent control to harvest deer on the ground and you need to watch out for the UV brightness of your clothes.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:17 AM
Spike

That sucks, better luck next time. Haven't tried from the ground much, when I did it went bad.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:21 AM
bigcountry

I tell ya, if a man masters the art of stalking, he has arrived as a bow hunter. I have tried for 20 or more years, and rarely does it work out.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I want to take ONE from the ground, BC....and "go from there"....lol.

I know the "naked" feeling. I can hardly find a spot I DON'T feel exposed, still. I DO have a killer setup that I think I can make it happen. Check the red dot. Secluded beanfield......and they're tearing them up, there. I probably have a 3 week window, yet....but the wind hasn't been right once to go there in the PM. I've got a burlap blind set up there; stool....and as of Monday I'll have my tripod. If I go in there....I'll film it.

Once I take one from the ground, I don't know how much I'll do it. I honestly think it's a HUGE disadvantage.....which is what makes me wanna do it.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like you had a great hunt!

I've tried and tried as well with only one shot taken from the ground! Now that strictly hunting with a Longbow I'm trying even harder to stick one from the ground. I'll do this stalking/still hunting during the late season when there is snow on the ground. Too much fun!
Old 10-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Spike

This will be my third year bowhunting, and the last two seasons I was fortunate enough to take three deer from the ground without a blind. I find the hardest part about hunting from the ground is the 29" it takes to draw my bow. I've had several deer within 10 yards of me and the closest was two or three yards. I think keeping still, having the wind in your face and having good concealment are the keys to hunting off the ground. The spots I like the best are heavy brush with complete concealment up to my head while in a sitting position (imagine a duck hunter peaking out of a duck blind). The first deer I killed with my bow I was sitting in a tall grassy/weedy area bordering a corn field. I sat about twenty yards outside the corn, and when a doe skirted the edge I drew my bow, stood up over the grass as she was looking away and sent an arrow through her lungs. Hunting the ground takes a lot of patience smart stand selection and as always a little luck. This season I will be using a pop-up blind and treestand since I'm no longer on a college budget, but I still have stand locations where I feel hiding out on the ground is still the best approach.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Spike

I shot my first buck with a bow hunting in a cedar tree blind I cut out in a overgrown pasture. I set up by a creek crossing that was surronded by pine trees. I tried some buck tending a doe grunt-bleet deal that I had read about in a hunting magazine. Didn't expect much, but a buck came crashing through a tree looking for action about 30 seconds after I tried the call. I saw a decent rack and fired. Well ground shrinkage sure hit me on that one. One side was a nice 4 point but the other side was a pretty small 3 point rack (the side I couldn't see fromthe ground). So I was happy with my first bow kill, but I would say a disadvantage is not having the time to judge what you are shooting. And in Kansas, we only get one buck a year.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

all these sound good, i would like to add that having a "black hole" when u r on the ground is important... a spot where if ya look in ya cant see , all blak behind you.. i have taken a small buch of tree's and tied them togather like an umbrella, and cover with tree limbs and grass and even put black see through pool fence mesh stapled to the trees i umbrellaed on the inside
when i am in there i can talk to you and u still wouldnt be able to see me from 2 yrds. pop up blinds give that blak hole appearance as long as the windows are not open accross from each other, only lookin outta 90 degree corner insted of 180 or 360, 2 windows at a time
Old 10-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

I've taken all but one of my deer from the ground. I mainly use ground blinds and have a few treestands. While a blind, store bought or constructed from natural materials, restricts you to staying in one spot, it substantially helps with concealment. I am by no means an expert as I have only hunted for the past five years, but sticking one on the ground at eye level is a thrill. Last year, I was on my way to one of my blinds for the last hour and a half of light after work and I turned to unzip the door, there stood a 6 pt yearling buck. I hadn't much time to think but instinct quickly rose the bow, which already had an arrow knocked, and I arrowed him 25 yards from me. That was quite a rush and not likely to repeat given the buck was not wise to the woods and didn't have the sense to run immediately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.