Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need opinions on 2 monsters. >

Need opinions on 2 monsters.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need opinions on 2 monsters.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

I would hunt as if no one else was there. When I say that I mean don't let other people possibly hunting make you make the wrong decision. You don't even know the other guys driving by hunt or bowhunt for that matter. Odds are they do but I've seen public area get scouted from the road hard then everyone stays away thinking the area is done and no one hunts it. I would go with option #1 hunt the wind from the edge. Deer only know its opener when the human scent gets there, they don't have a calender. Get there early and set up and stake you position. If your Dad can park there too that would be great. Make it look busy and most people will drive on. Good luck with it. As far as which to shoot, I would shoot the first one that gives me a good shot, if that's the 10 so be it. Never give up a sure thing for the maybe. More than likely you'll only get one or two sits before they catch on and go into hiding.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

From everything you mention it sounds like you have their routine down real well. Go with your best instinct, as you've seen exactly what's going on there except the "possible" other hunter activity. I'm sure you'll make a sound decision when it's crunch time. Good luck to you, and let us know how things go.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

To answer the comment about assigned stands, there are none. you can hunt where ever. Ive got good news and bad news. I went there tonite. when i pulled up there were 2 trucks parked glassing the field. 1 ive seen there before, the other was a new guy. The bucks came out about 100yds down from there usual spot and like always turned left and headed towards where they always end up. after the bucks were out for 10mins a 3rd truck stops but he just stoped because we were there. he only stayed a minute or so and left. The other 2 who were there when i got there left with a lil bit of light left and then these 2 kids pull in. They get out and stand on top of there truck and are checking the deer out and the 2 big bucks and the deer that were with them ran all the way to the other end of the field and stop on the edge and calm down and start eating again. I take this as a good thing because i have a good idea of where they will be tommorrow and none of the main guys that have been watching them witnessed this but me. They ran to a patch of thick pines that is max if 80 yds wide and 200yds long. Behind those pines is a powerline that is 50 yds wide. and on the other side of the powerlines is a big lot of pines. deer always come out rite where they ran to and those deer usually come across that powerline form the big lot of pines. im going to play the wind and get in there in the am and hope they are in the field feeding rite before daybreak and hid back to the pines to bed. I can sneak in behind them undetected. there is a dirt rd that goes from the blacktop rd all the way to the powerline. ill post tommorrow evening how everything goes. hopefully they arent too spooked allready. they did stop and feed for at least 15mins, so i think they are fine. i just hope they dont feed through the nite back towards there usual spot. what do you guys think theyll do? its a guessing game really.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd wait til tomorrow afternoon to hunt it. Don't go in their tomorrow morning and screw up a good thing.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

i was going to hunt the am as well because its easy to get in behind them if they are in the field and set up on the powerline and catch them going back to their new bedding area. The only problem with that is i dont know the exact spot ill sit. there arent many trees near the powerlines big enough for a climber so id probably have to sit on the ground.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bypasskiller, where exactly are you hunting, "and im not looking to take your spot"...lol, i hunt a private 700 acre farm out near REDDEN State forrest and was wondering where in congunction it is to that, Cause if it were me i would sit out in the morning anf get in there mid afternoon and hunt until dark...That way you know what you are getting into, if you are to go into the dark blind trampling all around were you THINK these deer are going to be all you are going to do is screw up your evening hunt..but that is just me..I am looking forward to hearing back that you got this buck tmmrow night cause i will be in the woods aswell..CANT WAIT!!

-NICK
Old 08-31-2009, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

its not far from redden state forest at all. its on old furnace rd. i wouldnt be blind trampling. there is easy access via a dirt rd that goes straight to the powerlines and id turn left and walk 150 yds to the top of a ridge that crosses the powerlines. i just didnt have an exact spot picked out but i know within 20 yds of where i want to be. one thing is certain. i definatly wont stick one of them laying in my bed! lol
Old 08-31-2009, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh i know you have to be out there to get them but i didnt know you knew where you wanted to go, so if you do i would go in a heart beat, Go get'em Killer, i want a report back tmmrow night on how this goes though,,

-NICK
Old 08-31-2009, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

thanks. good luck. ill report back tommorrow nite after 930. ive got private land to hunt rite on the md and de state line. my aunt owns it. i saw these 2 bucks on public land and had to try them! there is a 150+ inch 10pt ive seen this summer on my aunts land but he is very unpredictable. i hope to report good news tommorrow.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not meant as a knock, but there HAS to be a troll or two saying thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.