Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need opinions on 2 monsters. >

Need opinions on 2 monsters.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need opinions on 2 monsters.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a recipe for heartbreak.

Last edited by isatarak; 08-30-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 1st one to the rack wins - get as close as you can before they do. Find their beds and get back into the staging area so you can get a shot at him!

Option #2 - Go find the thickest cover because most likely they will be pushed in there quickly by all the foot "traffic". From that point on, afternoon hunts are likely to be your best option, as they will be nocturnal in a heart beat...
Old 08-30-2009, 03:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Marylandbowhunter
Yo only have 2 buck tags if you take 2 does that day also
wrong. im hunting delaware.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:56 AM
Fork Horn

im pretty sure ill at least see them the 1st day. i checked the parking area and it rained 3 days ago and not one boot print or tire marks. i was there on saturday evening so if alot of people had planed to hunt them a few wouldve scouted sat at mid day. they havent been spooked yet and season starts in less than 2 days. so thats a good sign. public land around here doesnt get hunted extremely hard are rarely during bow season. im going to get there early tuesday. my father is hunting with me so ima get him to drive as well so it mite make someone think twice about hunting there. hoping they will see 2 trucks parked there and keep going. the good thing is if we get there and there are trucks parked there ive got a few other spots picked out rite up the road where nice bucks have been coming out as well. ill post 2nite if i get time to get out there and glass the field again.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would not set up anywhere else other than an escape route. I would have to figure that others are going to be there, and all ready have been there. Guaratee these buck already know the hunt is on. Two days before season, check what direction the wind is going to be coming from on opening day, use that in relationship to the probable entry points of the other hunters. Figure that these buck are going to get wind of them. Get on the upwind side of the thick chit near there on the faintest trail leading in to it, find the wind transition spot { sudden change in wind direction. You look, you'll find it } and set up there.

What do ya got to lose? Nada!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Spike

Im willing to bet some idiot will be pulling in there bright and early opening morning with the bucks in the field and blow the whole scenario all together Hunting the morning would be a big mistake IMO...the only way you would be able to hope for a morning hunt is if for sure you knew where they bed and wind was just right. Even then they may be back in the bed by daylight and you would spook them. A bit too risky, not to mention the noise of setting up shop in the stillness of the morning would carry if they are not all that far away.

I would possibly go by there on opening morning and see if anyone is hunting the spot, and if not come back in the evening on the right wind and setup just inside the timber where the bucks have been coming out. If they have been coming out near dark then you may have to setup back a little further but be very careful with what you do, most deer this time of year are not bedded far at all from their food source.

Last edited by ILAntlrAddct; 08-30-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might need a plan C. People watching deer have a way of pushing them away when they go in and... days before the season starts. Where do you think they'll go if and when someone does spook them out of there? That maybe the place to be.

I really am clueless as to what you should do.

Still, things are looking good for opening day. Hope ya get'm.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

I dont think im going to get to go glass the field this evening. my son is sick. Im 100% glassing it tommorrow evening. they have been coming out 30-45 mins before dark. Only time will tell how many hunters will be there opening day. Im positive ill be there! lol. I only want to hunt the evening for fear of spooking them. If someone else hunts the morning then i cant do anything about that. These bucks are used to a lil human traffic. the farmer that tills the ground drives back to the irragation pumps a few times a week and ive seen the 2 big boys stay rite there and grub 150yds from the farmer. By the way, I know how to hunt ive been hunting for 23yrs and had great success with wallhanger bucks. I am simply here getting opinions on which setup you guys would use. Rite now im leaning towards setting up on the field edge. only because im fairly positive about where they end up at regardless of where they come into the field. if i hunt the trails in the woods there is about 80% chance they come by. if i hunt the field edge im about 95% to get a shot. all of this is if they arent spooked by opening evening!!! out of all the times i glassed the fields they came out on the trails every time but 2. regardless of where they come out they always turn left and feed down the edge of the woods which would give me a chip shot. I know anything can happen. im not banking on anything. lol. thats why i left out the 5%! as a matter of fact im betting they come out 300yds down the field rite under where im putting my father. lol

Last edited by bypasskiller; 08-30-2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-31-2009, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I live and work just north of DE in PA and I thought that on public land you are assigned stands. Is that not correct?

If you can pick your own stand I would follow the advice of the others saying to get in near the bedding area and get in there as early as you can. Catch them coming off those fields and avoiding the other hunters and you've got a chance.

Good luck. Let us know how you do.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to go against the grain here. I would be there early opening morning, not to hunt, but to scout the hunting pressure.

If the spot is hunted in the morning - I would go in around mid-day with a climber on my back and follow the trails back to try to locate the bedding area (without bumping them) or staging area.

If the spot is not hunted in the morning - option 1 could very well work (for the about the first day only and get there early). Your only chance of getting on either of these bucks in a field, during daylight hours will be before the hunting pressure hits. Once a few hunters have walked thru there, bumping them out of the fields or their beds, all bets are off as to where these two will be.

IMHO, you have about 3 days max to get on these deer while they are on this pattern. Game over once opening weekend comes.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.