Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Does the loop on your string effect draw length? >

Does the loop on your string effect draw length?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does the loop on your string effect draw length?

Old 08-22-2009, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.performance-archery.tv/?q=node/78

Skip ahead to about 2:40 and watch from there. Interesting information.

Shane
Old 08-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Let me ASK this, T.....

In each of those photos....do you think those archers are utilizing their "optimal" DL?
Old 08-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
You see....to assert that it changes the shooter's DL...you have to assume that there are multiple "optimal" setups for that archer....utilizing the same equipment.

That's pretty smple to understand, I would think, also.

IF the archer already knows he wants to use a Dloop. There's only ONE DL that will allow him to use the loop; release aid of choice AND to maintain proper form. If he changes the loop length, then.....his NOR the bow's (which will NEVER change) DL won't change. his anchors will (and his form will likely suffer).

I have a LOT....I mean a LOT of repsect for Greg/MO AND TFox's knowledge on most everything archery/hunting. I sincerely hope that isn't in question.

We've just obviously come to an empass in ideologies. I can accept that.
This is where we disagree and it might be a matter of opinion.I have shot 2 different loop lengths with 2 different draw length settings on the bow and both are correct for me dependant upon what kind of shooting I want to do.

The longer draw length with the shorter d-loop allows me to get more behind the shot.MY draw length is slightly longer set up this way.I was shooting this style for serious 3-d from the open stake and would utilize it for indoor as well if I liked to shoot indoor.If I were to be competing in really hilly terrain,I would use more of my current 3-d set up because it is shorter,even with a long loop the bow being set at 28" allows for more back pressure if you will for those uphill/downhill shots.This is a little better hunting setup as well.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
Some pro pics for reference,and hopefully some might learn something as well.I completely agree the tip of the nost and corner of he mouth are probably the msot solid anchors one can utilize but for whatever reason,certain people and body types do not allow for goof form and shot execution for them from those anchors.

Here is one of Hoyts top shooters,or atleast he was a couple years ago.

Notice how the elbow is directly behind the arrow.(this is something I see alot of shooters struggle with,even pros)Directly behind to slightly in front of the arrow is what most coaches consider "correct"

How about this guy.I have shot with him and he was absolutley lights out.I can assure you from standing beside him when he shoots,he has the correct arm angle.His stance is way open,or atleast is was then but he can shoot.

I understand what you are saying about the correct arm angle. I don't disagree in any way. What I'm saying is that I can get the correct arm angle, and the perfect nose and mouth anchor, by maintaining the same draw length bow and adjusting the length of the loop to put my hand anchor and arm angle in their correct spot. I don't have to adjust anything in my head or arm position because I'm not changing the draw length of the string. I customize the loop. If I was shooting without a loop and off the string, I customize my release length. My nose and mouth will meet the string the same way every time. My head stays the same, my anchor stays the same. With your method, your anchor stays the same but your head has to change because the string changed.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let me ASK this, T.....

In each of those photos....do you think those archers are utilizing their "optimal" DL?

They are shooting the best draw length that they feel gives them the best chance to win.That is there optimum for what they are shooting at the time.These guys may not need to change,but then again,they are some of the best.

BUT,if you are getting at what I think you are getting at,if that loop is taken off,that "optimum" is going to change.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jbowersox
I understand what you are saying about the correct arm angle. I don't disagree in any way. What I'm saying is that I can get the correct arm angle, and the perfect nose and mouth anchor, by maintaining the same draw length bow and adjusting the length of the loop to put my hand anchor and arm angle in their correct spot. I don't have to adjust anything in my head or arm position because I'm not changing the draw length of the string. I customize the loop. If I was shooting without a loop and off the string, I customize my release length. My nose and mouth will meet the string the same way every time. My head stays the same, my anchor stays the same. With your method, your anchor stays the same but your head has to change because the string changed.
How can you wrap the finger for a solid backtension shot if you lengthen the release?

Yes,good info but no one is disagreeing with that.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sr77

Shane
Thats a really cool site. I'll be using that for sure. He makes my point about draw length not being determined by the loop. 2:45. Draw length is set then the loop is used to set your anchor, he makes the point that short is ok, long is bad.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Dominant Buck

This is where we disagree and it might be a matter of opinion.I have shot 2 different loop lengths with 2 different draw length settings on the bow and both are correct for me dependant upon what kind of shooting I want to do.
Same release aid?
Old 08-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sr77

Shane
Be careful with that site though. For some reason when I select some of the videos it redirects you to some webcam site. Don't know if it will reek havoc on you Windows users.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Same release aid?

YES,it was the same.Not sure if my videos are the same release,I am thinking the second is with my BT but they setup the same.I have made several videos with different releases over the years.

Last edited by TFOX; 08-22-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.