Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Walk through it, or go around it? >

Walk through it, or go around it?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Walk through it, or go around it?

Old 08-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Jeff (Hoyt):

Did you even read those two linked articles?

The first one is a tactic to hunt THE corn. Not a tactic to go through it to hunt the woods....and definitley not a tactic to go through it and hunt the woods in the AM.

The second link backs EVERYTHING I SAID in this thread up. It's people saying the same things I told you. They all HATE the corn (because deer will and are bedding in it) and can't wait for it to get cut.

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=6478

http://www.ohiosportsman.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=23786

Seriously. You need to read these. You can argue with them, then.
Jeff,

I honestly dont give a rats ass about the content, as these areant the ones I was referring to. I dont have a scanner to quote waddell and others that gave their professional point on crossing them in NHA mags, petersons, etc., but regardless, the ones I quoted were simply a google and link to the articles. I didnt read them all, but if you are trying to tell me that I shouldnt cross in an area mid field, quietly, cautiously, and wind to respect....you are not giving me credit for my huntng experience, as you desperately request I do for you. Absolutely no offense to you or your methods....I have read enough that people hunt their own ways, and seem to be quite successful at them. I will take your advice from you and give 'em hell....and thats what Im planning on doing. I know people hunt the fields, as well as cross them....even setting up blinds in them. How did they get there? They had to transverse the crop, even the hunters who huted the rows....they must have been in them to hunt them....there is a big difference in sneaking through them and hunting them.

For reference, my point of crossing them is at least 500 yrds from either side. I doubt I will run into much, not even a sleeping deer. Maybe a ground hog or other critter, but my research shows they hang around edges feeding or bedding, not the center of 600 acres.

Maybe Im wrong, but as I said, I will post my success photos!

Last edited by Hoyt_Viper; 08-03-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hoyt Viper,

If I were you, I'd try going through the cornfield in the AM.

If you find you are spooking deer, try something else.

PM hunts would be better but since your daughter is in K and you have obligations then AM hunts are all you can do.

I,ve hunted around many cornfields and deer do not ALWAYS bed in them. Several of the places I've hunted, had deer bedding in thickets, not in the corn.

Not saying that will be your case, but I've seen it where I hunt.

Its worth a try.

GMMAT tries to cram those "21 deer in 3 years" down everyone's throat. The guy lacks the years of experience of trying different things. I'll give him credit for what he has done, but some of his statements show his arrogance and his ignorance.

I, like most, learned through trial and error. Over time, I learned what works and what don't work (most of the time). I am still learning and often find exceptions to things I have experienced before.

I appologize for how I might have come across in my debate with GMMAT. I've just noticed a big change in how he has changed over the years. I've seen this before in others as they get a few deer under their belt.

I don't like how he belittles others and just wanted to give him a taste of his own medicine.

He use to be a good guy. I can say, I actually am proud of the guy for how quick he has picked up bowhunting and become so successful in such a short time.

Hunting in a good area with lots of shots at deer will make you learn quickly. It spoils you, I know this first hand. But comparing those deer to the deer others hunt in high pressure areas is a different ball game.

Deer act differently sometimes in different areas. I use to hunt deer in a low pressure area where we hunted from the ground. We just walked around and got deer with in a half an hour after getting out of the truck. Things aren't like that everywhere.

Anyway, I'd try crossing that field and see what happens.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Jeff (Hoyt):

Did you even read those two linked articles?

The first one is a tactic to hunt THE corn. Not a tactic to go through it to hunt the woods....and definitley not a tactic to go through it and hunt the woods in the AM.

The second link backs EVERYTHING I SAID in this thread up. It's people saying the same things I told you. They all HATE the corn (because deer will and are bedding in it) and can't wait for it to get cut.

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=6478

http://www.ohiosportsman.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=23786

Seriously. You need to read these. You can argue with them, then.
Pieces of statements from such sites as realtree.com and other hunting forums.

"Stalks can work, although I prefer to no do this except on windy days where I do not want to be in a stand. In this case, I often set up a blind in the corn itself, or stalk lightly. Very interesting hunt style and can be worth the gamble at times. I usually get to the wind-right side or corner of a field and work my way up the rows"

"usually walk them when they are wet... which sucks... or on windy days... like said just move slow and just peak your head in, not your whole body! seems like it takes forever though! i have snuck up on a lot of does this way and only 1 buck and the buck saw me before i saw him.. so that sucked... it helps being able to judge yardage well too not just for the shot but so you can go to where you think you could last see in the corn so when you walk down a row to cover the ground that you already looked down, you pace out that many yards and walk back through it...."

I have read many. I just had snippets to add to this post. As a matter of fact, after reading writen publications about this, I decided to post this and get opinions....look like I got them. Understand that I didnt point you out....you just seemed to contradict EVERYTHING I said, recommended, or even had an opinion on.

The last time I will ever post anything that will start this mayhem. Sorry Jeff, but just trying to get my fellow opinions...not solely yours and only yours. You hunt your way and slay the nanny's. Im working on quality, not quantity.

Last edited by Hoyt_Viper; 08-03-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bowmanaj
I probably will be after tonight, on another site.... Jeff, I'm sorry but come on man. The superiority thing has really gotten out of hand lately, everyone knows you can kill deer, you have nothing to prove to anyone. I used to look up to you when I first joined the forums, but now I have to bite my tounge A LOT just like WW, after you try your best to belittle people, constantly... Especially when they don't agree with your ways. I think you are a hell of a hunter, but I honestly can't believe how you talk to people sometimes.
exactly my thoughts
Old 08-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Dominant Buck

SO let me get this straight....

My experience level being constantly called into question is OK. But my listing my accomplishments (mitigating the initial assertion), isn't?

It's to the point where my assertions aren't even evaluated on their merits. It's "look who posted it.....and we'll discount it, based on years afield".

I really don't care if a hunter has been hunting deer ONE year....IF his tactics are of sound judgement and proven. I can learn from that guy (and will, gladly).

I never told you not to cross the corn, Jeff. I said I wouldn't (in the AM....PM, different story).....and gave reasoning as to why. End of story (and I wasn't the only one to advise against it.....including the articles you posted to bolster your assertions).

You can continue to constantly call my experience level into question. But my results speak for themselves. So what (exactly) is my apparent lack of experience costing me, as far as results? I'm curious.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

Forgive me if I'm repeating what someone else has posted, but I don't have time right now to read all seven pages of this thread. The only point I would like to make is from the point of view of a farmer. I've farmed my whole life, and theres one thing nobody seems to have thought of. By walking through that corn, you could be putting your own health in danger. In agriculture, we use numerous types of chemicals, some worse than others. You don't know what type of chemicals are on that corn that you are walking through. While most chemicals will soak in after a week or so, for all you know that farmer could have sprayed the corn the evening before you go hunting. Trust me, its not good for your health to get drenched in chemicals while walking through the corn field. In my opinion, I'd say walk around the field. Scent control takes a backseat to personal health.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

What's the outside access like? I would be approaching the stands from the outside in the AM, if I was forced to hunt it in the AM. I have a similiar setup and I don't hestitate to cross up through the field after it's cut when I hunt in the PM. I can't totally relate bc I just plain won't hunt it in the AM. Like I said earlier, if I HAD to, I would approach from the "direct" outside, staying as far away from that field as possible in the AM. And I would be trying to find the trail back to the bedding and hunting off the field edge if possible.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ben / PA
What's the outside access like? I would be approaching the stands from the outside in the AM, if I was forced to hunt it in the AM. I have a similiar setup and I don't hestitate to cross up through the field after it's cut when I hunt in the PM. I can't totally relate bc I just plain won't hunt it in the AM. Like I said earlier, if I HAD to, I would approach from the "direct" outside, staying as far away from that field as possible in the AM. And I would be trying to find the trail back to the bedding and hunting off the field edge if possible.
As I said in my original post, my access is limited to across the field, I will/can/and would do the circumference of the field, but I would think that the least amount of ground you contaminate the better, to the farm guy...I know the owner of the crops, its the rain we've had that has made them unusually tall. There are no harmful pesticides and I have a way through them without even shoulders touching, Its 600+acres around, and about a 800 yd walk directly through to my stand. I am all knowledge about where deer hang out, bed, feed, breed, etc. and like I said earlier, my passage is in the middle of the highest corn, and yes a deer or deer could be bedding in there, just as easily as me going the perimeter. My reason for the post should of been a poll. Im not stupid, and if the situation (wind, etc.) isnt right, I will alter my plans on crossing.

To Jeff, no hard feelings, but you should be able to see how some people view your pompous attitude. Kind of like you know it all and down talk anyone who doesnt do it your way. I dont know you, nor where you hunt and the exact thing goes for me...you dont know a lick about me or my set-up. The best advice was give'em hell. I will. But for you to tell me NOT to do something I feel very comfortable doing doesnt teach me to trust my instincts, but to listen to you and if I dont agree....you see no in betweens or even say that you arent familiar with my land, so you dont know what the hell to do. That to me would be more honorable than to be so arrogant as to disagree with others who have another opinions.

IMHO
Old 08-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I never told you not to do anything, Jeff. I told you what I'd do (and not do).

Everything I told you in this thread has been backed up by others (in this thread). You just have a hard-on for confrontation with me.

Give 'em hell....and good luck.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

How long has GMMAT been like this?

He certainly has an issue with people not respecting him.

Have you guys been on his case about it?

Let's face it, we all live in different parts of the country and hunt different types of terrain. Our home states have different seasons, bag limits and we all have our own standards on what we shoot and don't shoot.

We all (well, most of us) have years of experience that we base our opinions on. Whether we take lots of deer or only a few, we learn things from our time spent in the field. We make mistakes and try different tactics.

The more time we have hunted, the more experience we gain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.