Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Therma cell?

Old 07-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't worry about the scent it omits too very much. That being said I will turn it off if I see deer downwind though. My biggest complaint about the unit is you are supposed to lay it flat. That's ok in the treestand, you can do that by placing it under your seat on the plateform. When you are scouting though like I will be doing this weekend laying it flat is not an option so I have to carry it in my hand flat unless someone else has a better idear. It would be nice if you could strap it to your leg but then it is veritcal. I guess I could see if that would work this weekend.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I hate about it is it can be very loud to turn on. Mine is old and I have to usually click it 3 or 4 times. It isn't a problem in the p.m., but when I get settled into my stand in the still morning darkness, that popping sound is so loud. It does smell, but I haven't noticed any big difference in sightings. For that reason, I usually only use it when the mosquitoes and gnats are more than sporadic and bugging the crap out of me. I figure that my enjoyment, being able to hear without buzzing, and not having to move so much outweighs the extra smell (and I'm not sure the smell bothers them as much as other human odors).

In answer to your question, I would take one, not much cost compared to the trip and getting eaten alive on a stand. Also, they aren't much good for moving around, as they take awhile to get a good perimeter.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

I've had deer blow me out at 100 yds using the thermacell, and I've had them come right under the stand. I honestly have had better luck with deep woods off! U gotta have one or the other here in mississippi, the buffalo gnats and mosquitoes will tote u off if u don't.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

buy it..... use it and you wil know
Old 07-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

I like mine and use it all the time when in the stand when needed. but over all its personal pref. just like broadheads.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think deer associate the smell with humans yet, but I know they have got to smell it if we do.
Chris